Rumour at Duxford

Caddy

I've heard this rumour too, but I thought the idea was to rebuild a new hall, hopefully with the help of someone who appreciates that the current building is so dark in places I could only identify their T-34 by touch!

If it was down to me I'd get an ex-RAF T2 type hangar similar to the ones at RAF Cosford, and add a few skylights, and arrange the exhibits inside accordingly; job done!

Or for a fee I could include a photo or two of Musée des blindés de Saumur showing how an old tobacco factory has been made into an excellent place for an AFV museum, without £30m of lottery funding!

There is a rumour going around that the IWM are looking to demolish the Land Warfare Hall and that there will be no more running of vehicles........

pretty sad if that is the case

It was pretty sad too the decision to discontinue the Military vehicle day too, it always brought a big crowd in

Edited by Nick Johns

It was pretty sad too the decision to discontinue the Military vehicle day too, it always brought a big crowd in

Sad if true, what's the plan, put DAS civil airline collection in place of vehicles, but as I've been told many times DUXFORD is an AIRFIELD so AIRCRAFT only. By the way the roof has always leaked from day one and the darkness within was for effect, make you think - enjoy while its there

Baz, think you're on the right course there as it's been suggested that the aircraft collection should be moved in total down to the West end (wonder if that will include Concorde? DAS owned).

The Military Vehicle Day was the biggest money earning event for the IWM, just putting it out there.

Baz, think you're on the right course there as it's been suggested that the aircraft collection should be moved in total down to the West end (wonder if that will include Concorde? DAS owned).

The Military Vehicle Day was the biggest money earning event for the IWM, just putting it out there.

I thought the Concord was owned by the Science museum and only on loan as at the time of it's arrival the Science museum didn't have a suitable site - still sad if the LWH is demolished not sure about the vehicle show being the museum's biggest money spinner as I've been told it wasnt financially viable when the cost of additional staff was taken into account - but what do I know

Perhaps instead of adding weight to rumours, you should wait to hear what's real and what isn't from the source.

Have to agree with Lauren, I haven't been a volunteer at Duxford for nearly 10 years but there were rumors then that the IWM were going to get rid of all the vehicles and concentrate on aircraft, hasn't happened yet....

Have to agree with Lauren, I haven't been a volunteer at Duxford for nearly 10 years but there were rumors then that the IWM were going to get rid of all the vehicles and concentrate on aircraft, hasn't happened yet....

I understand this rumor is attributed to the Chairman of DAS quoting an IWM statement of intent

• 2 months later...

On a recent visit got chatting to a long term employee at duxford who was its fair to say pretty disallusioned with the whole place and stated that that changes in policy are down to new boss whose previous job was at the v and a museum in charge of children's clothing ! Roumer was land warfare close down and some exibits from there would be scattered around the other hangars

On a recent visit got chatting to a long term employee at duxford who was its fair to say pretty disallusioned with the whole place and stated that that changes in policy are down to new boss whose previous job was at the v and a museum in charge of children's clothing ! Roumer was land warfare close down and some exibits from there would be scattered around the other hangars

Sounds as though the new boss has their own pet projects, would like to be wrong

The shift from museum to visitor attraction is happening to a lot of museums out there.

Was told that the Assistant Director RAFM was heard to say that people don't go to the museum to be educated, they go there for a day out.

At present 28 million is being spent on RAFM London and they'll have less aircraft on display but a bigger visitor centre with the story of 100 years of the RAF.

So don't be surprised if how we see museums organised/run is turned on its head.

But don't forget it may be in our favour! a lot of kit in storage and they'll need money to do these things! :-(

(Don't get me started on that!!!)

The shift from museum to visitor attraction is happening to a lot of museums out there.

Was told that the Assistant Director RAFM was heard to say that people don't go to the museum to be educated, they go there for a day out.

At present 28 million is being spent on RAFM London and they'll have less aircraft on display but a bigger visitor centre with the story of 100 years of the RAF.

So don't be surprised if how we see museums organised/run is turned on its head.

But don't forget it may be in our favour! a lot of kit in storage and they'll need money to do these things! :-(

(Don't get me started on that!!!)

Unfortunately it's ultimately down to numbers through the gate and museums will do what they can to make that as large as possible.

Andy

Money is never plentiful enough for anyone running a museum, mine is costing me a small fortune but it is my desire to build it...if people like it it would be nice to get a bit of cash from a source other than my pocket, but every penny will go into the museum....the reality is that museums are historical records of something, that can never be diminished but it is also true that kids and a large amount of people today don't really want anything other than a bit of a days entertainment...