SGS Vehicle Examination

Has anyone had an Vehicle examination done by SGS ? only ask as I,ve applied for a V5 and reg number etc for WD Matchless, and have had a letter of the DVLA to contact SGS for an examination, just wonder how in depth is the examination?

I replied to the DVLA as the bike is being restored, I've made it clear bits are missing but could put them on for an examination, the reply to this was everything I mentioned whats not on the bike at present needs to be, such as Battery, wiring loom, lights, speedo, tank etc.

Has anyone had an Vehicle examination done by SGS ? only ask as I,ve applied for a V5 and reg number etc for WD Matchless, and have had a letter of the DVLA to contact SGS for an examination, just wonder how in depth is the examination?

I replied to the DVLA as the bike is being restored, I've made it clear bits are missing but could put them on for an examination, the reply to this was everything I mentioned whats not on the bike at present needs to be, such as Battery, wiring loom, lights, speedo, tank etc.

Are you an MVT member? If so there was an interesting article in the spring edition of Windscreen about vehicle verification and registration. If you aren't an MVT or IMPS member, could I suggest that you join one of them as they both offer a free verification service. The vehicle being verified does not have to be fully assembled. If you look a the SGS website it appears to me that they are more involved in industry than individual vehicles.

Thanks for the reply, no not a Member of any you mention, Included with the application was a dating certificate from the matchless owners club, plus photo's etc, Just wasn't sure if the SGS examination is the norm for military vehicles etc. Reading through a reply from the DVLA it seems its more to confirm the frame number, just a pain having to assemble everything then remove it again. I could wait till its finished but would like to insure as soon as I can.

Thanks for the reply, no not a Member of any you mention, Included with the application was a dating certificate from the matchless owners club, plus photo's etc, Just wasn't sure if the SGS examination is the norm for military vehicles etc. Reading through a reply from the DVLA it seems its more to confirm the frame number, just a pain having to assemble everything then remove it again. I could wait till its finished but would like to insure as soon as I can.

The dating certificate from the Matchless owners club should have been enough, ask the DVLA to check the frame number in 'British Forces Motorcycles' by Chris Orchard and Steve Madden, the DVLA have a copy of this book in their reference library, something that Chris Orchard is very proud of.

I've been through a SGS inspection just this year on my Royal Enfield Experimental Lightweight. DVLA will call for an inspection if there's something their not sure about or not happy about or as I've been told 1 in 10 random inspections. My guy arrived from Bristol in a Transit van and was a pleasant chap in overalls.

SGS are all round vehicle inspectors and have no specific knowledge on anything historic. The important thing is the frame number and a fairly complete machine that the inspector likes to think is original. So don't mention any repro or non original parts. The bike doesn't have to work, but best if it looks fairly complete, I was far from finishing mine and as I didn't know what to expect, I hung dummy cables and wiring on it. But I don't think it's necessary as long as the inspector can see what you're up to.

He took about 6 pictures with two different cameras (belt and braces in case one camera failed). Specifically of the frame and engine numbers and then just general shots of the bike.

What they like to hear is that you bought the bike in a complete and original state and that you've taken it apart for 'REPAIR AND REPAINT'. They're not trying to catch you out, they're just trying to winkle out the fraudsters.

My age related number arrived within a week of his inspection. Ron

Thanks Ron, in one of the replies they said they would need to see a complete bike, I guess its like you say to stop the fraudsters, maybe they were a bit concerned about the engine number as its a later engine? As I did send pics of the bike with the application, Armed with your info I doubt I've too much to worry about it. The tank will certainly stand out due to the new colour but have pics of a before and after.

I haven't tried for ages, but you always used to be able to insure on the frame or chassis number for vehicles that were as yet unregistered.

I got my land rover insured on chassis number the one thing I found out is that some insurers will not allow you to drive to the MoT station, at present with Adrian Flux who insured on chassis number and it was insured to and from test station

Are you an MVT member? If so there was an interesting article in the spring edition of Windscreen about vehicle verification and registration. If you aren't an MVT or IMPS member, could I suggest that you join one of them as they both offer a free verification service. The vehicle being verified does not have to be fully assembled. If you look a the SGS website it appears to me that they are more involved in industry than individual vehicles.

The vehicle has to be substantially complete - not a pile of components. Essentially this is to ensure the vehicle is what it is claimed to be. The clubs do charge a fee for the verification service but it is less for members. All the main components,i.e. frame/chassis, engine, body, etc have to be original or of the period.

Yes indeed Lauren! And I don't think you need insurance anymore to tax a vehicle and of course pre 1960....No MOT required.

I've registered two WW2 motorcycle in the past year and a bit. The first one (Velo) went through just on paper work, the last one (Enfield) a few months ago required an inspection. The Velo was up and running anyway but the Enfield was far off running but was still a fairly complete machine. However, from the SGS inspectors point of view it wouldn't have made any difference if there were no internals to the engine. They don't ask you to prove that anything runs or moves or stops!!

Ron

Edited by Ron

Inspected today, seemed to go all ok, I forgot to mount the speedo but he made a note the seat cover and speedo were getting restored. I give it a clean yesterday ( rub down with oil) and fitted a rear light and the wiring loom and battery box. Although mentioned in another thread, I'd painted the tank (service brown) I'd left the masking tape on the taps and no fuel pipes were fitted. Its a standard way the DVLA wants pics done, so pointed out the bits he wanted, frame, Engine and G/Box numbers, rest were just basic pics. Top, front and rear view......Over in less than ten Minutes....Now ready for the strip down etc, I mentioned in another thread I'd started on the tank and didn't have much look with the paint, all sorted now but was a bit apprehensive with the colour ( Matt service brown) but compared to the rest and in the light must admit it does look good.

Edited by bigduke6

• 2 weeks later...

Myself I never wanted the inspection it was all part of the Registration process....... just wanted the reg Number for insurance so I can swap a policy over etc. As the bike was complete at the time made perfect sense.

Cant say I'm keen on paperwork but just wanted to get it out the way and whole process went well, so all done and dusted. although have my plans for the future, I don't know what the future plans for me...... box of bike bits with a V5 probably a lot easier to shift than just a box of bike bits.

When I spoke to the the guy from SGS, he said more pre 1960 vehicles are being picked out for inspection and a high percentage of bikes.

The interesting point for me is why someone would want their vehicle inspected if its a long way off being ready to use?

If you ever import an unrestored vehicle, or dig one out of a hedge, believe me you will want to get all the registration and paperwork done asp so you can relax! :sweat:

It's a minefield out there..