For the brains trust

Tony B

Question

My 12 volt WC51 is misfiring erratically under load. Fitted with Frank Jolleys electronic ignition, distributor cap clean no wear, rotor arm slight black on end. . Idles fine. Pulled plug tops off at idle, no changes. Fuel my be a bit rough but has been drained out and fresh with fuel system cleaner run through it. Begining to suspect coil , fitted before I got her fifteen years ago now. So suggestions please.

12 answers to this question

Tony for starters:

What are the state of the plugs?

When were they last renewed or cleaned & how?

Does the coil get too hot to touch or at least feel hottish? After 20-30 minutes

Does the tip of the rotor arm show loss of metal or does it have deposits?

Is the coil designed for the polarity of your vehicle? Or are the primary connections in a reversed bodge (sorry improvisation)?

Thanks Enigma, can't really complain 15 odd years. :-D When I electrified Katy I got a coil from Frank Jolley, Katy goes like a rocket so I'll contact him. Nice to bounce ideas of knowledgable friends, :tup::

No worries mate.

Lets hope that's the problem.

Electrics can confuse things to no end.

Update: Coil is fine, Electronic Ignition fine. Teeny little problem with one HT lead to number 4 plug though. :red: It had worked itself against number 3 plug, and, er, melted. Still got some new 7mm Copper HT lead coming , so happy half hour making up new leads.

Update: Coil is fine, Electronic Ignition fine. Teeny little problem with one HT lead to number 4 plug though. :red: It had worked itself against number 3 plug, and, er, melted. Still got some new 7mm Copper HT lead coming , so happy half hour making up new leads.

Sounds like it will be up and running soon.

Unfortunatley the last 'Independent' spares shop in my area has just closed. :angry The local factor I use is good, but don't have the odd bit of bits of things.

Ever the way Tony in most places these days, gone are the days of poking around a wall of little draws for the odd plug cap or terminal. If you can't supply the Vin No, reg No and colour and the bit you want doesn't come prepacked in vacuum sealed fancy packing of at least 4 items then your your out of luck as the computer won't recognize the sale:-(

That's why the Green Spark Plug Company and other similar web based suppliers are now first choice for me every time.

Pete