Army Fire Service Land Rover

Mickfl

Hi, I own an ex Army Fire Service Series 3 Land Rover 88 (40 GT 06). She entered service in 1979 at West Moors and was retired in about 1993. In her early days she was in Deep Green Gloss. Does anybody know if she would have been painted in drab or camo in her later service life? If so what crest/markings could I expect her to have worn?

Thanks Mick

Once you have the record card it may be clear whether she spent her entire service with the Army Fire Service, or whether, later on, she was passed to another unit. While I wouldn't expect the record card to record any change of colour (from an original factory finish DBG to say, a camouflage green), as that would be done at unit level, if it remained with the AFS then I doubt she would have been repainted at all. Why do I think that? Well, an AFS Land Rover such as yours would not be required to go on exercise, so there would be no requirement for camouflage paint and of course, the wear and tear on a vehicle employed locally around a depot, garrison area or even local training area wouldn't be that great - no more than a civilian vehicle doing similar admin tasks. But... in this hobby, "never say never"!

Good luck with your information-gathering.

10 68

Hi Mick,

I think your question was answered in your previous thread. I see from the record card that it was disposed of after leaving West Moors, and given its role, may well have remained in Deep Bronze Green.

See here;

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?54899-Vehicle-History-Land-Rover-Series-3-88-quot/page2&highlight=west+moors

regards, Richard

Hi Mick,

I think your question was answered in your previous thread. I see from the record card that it was disposed of after leaving West Moors, and given its role, may well have remained in Deep Bronze Green.

See here;

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?54899-Vehicle-History-Land-Rover-Series-3-88-quot/page2&highlight=west+moors

regards, Richard[/quote

Seems from the responses I've had I'll stick with Deep Bronze Green.

Thank you,

Mick

Once you have the record card it may be clear whether she spent her entire service with the Army Fire Service, or whether, later on, she was passed to another unit. While I wouldn't expect the record card to record any change of colour (from an original factory finish DBG to say, a camouflage green), as that would be done at unit level, if it remained with the AFS then I doubt she would have been repainted at all. Why do I think that? Well, an AFS Land Rover such as yours would not be required to go on exercise, so there would be no requirement for camouflage paint and of course, the wear and tear on a vehicle employed locally around a depot, garrison area or even local training area wouldn't be that great - no more than a civilian vehicle doing similar admin tasks. But... in this hobby, "never say never"!

Good luck with your information-gathering.

10 68

I have the record card and it confirms she stayed with the AFS at West Moors all her service life so I'll stay with DBG then.

Thank you,

Mick