Any chance of finding a turret??

jdmcm

Hello guys

any chance of finding a turret in the UK to turn the Centaur tank dozer now for sale on Milweb, into a gun tank? Or is this going to be harder than finding a decent US presidential candidate? (ranking that with impossible)

Regards

John

I've heard there's one buried under a heap of rocking horse ****!

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Cruiser_Tanks.pdf

Bov's got a Cavalier wreck, I'd reckon you've zero chance of getting the turret off that.

Trip to Salisbury Plains?

Cobbaton have one, but looks like it's being used by them.

wouldn't it be a pity to change it from the dozer configuration in to a gun tank. ?

I know a dozer doesn't have the appeal to many as a gun tank do, but the conversion is possibly the reason why it survived (and is historically interesting), Isn't better to have some done in period than a new bitsa ?

This is frequently discussed in the classic car world, where cars can have been raced, crashed, rebuild with a different or more efficient body and then 50 years later re bodied in style of the original.

Good luck either way.

Yeah probably not my best plan, with the amount of stuff sitting here waiting for some love I best try to focus and not add fuel to an already out of control fire. Thanks everyone for their input...Now about those turretless cents Rick....:-D

• 2 weeks later...

As a previous Charioteer owner that was going to turn it back into a Cromwell, I searched for several years to find a turret, there are some in Greece on pedestals, but like everyone said, hard to find and as scarce as rocking horse ****, I tried to do a deal with some museums, trading my toys for a wrecked chassis to get a turret ring and turret for mine, but to no avail, Adrian B, could possibly make one up if you tempted him enough, and I bet Rick could too, we discussed the Saladin turret ring when I was going to do mine, I looked at the centaur and was thinking of a howitzer, but then again you can always do a Cromwell kangaroo (but this is a centaur), there weren't many made but it is an option too, there is a fake turret/howitzer at Cobbaton on their Centaur/dozer made back into a tank, they have an original turret there they will switch it too. Good luck:D Or turn it into a Centaur AVRE and use it to pull your other big toys...

I talked to Bob yesterday, he is not producing the parts, he is a go between, there is a gentleman that owns several cromwell and charioteer chassis and has been looking for parts for years, he has several foundries and business in the area, the gentleman does not have time to go out and find potential buyers, so Bob is doing that for him, parts will be newly made, casted and or produced.

• 2 months later...

There were 93 of them in the army dump about 35Kms away from here and they just were lost, I have been told they were buried on the base but no one can give me a answer as it happened in the last 10 years. There were a thousand SLR's cut into three bits and buried and we know were they are but it would be nice to crack the turrets. Ray

Today we drove out to the farm/war museum about 220kms away to check them out. The place has been changed into a paint ball area and after talking to the owner we found out that some one came and payed for them and they are now gone but they were two from the batch at the Bathurst Army Base sale, I will do some more checking for you.. Ray

Hi, I have a Cromwell turret here in the UK, complete externally with turret ring, hatches, cupola, mantlet and cradle etc. its available as part of a 1943 proper Centaur gun tank restoration package. pm me for details, its advertised on Milweb at the moment under armour and tracked.

regards Kevin.

There were 93 of them in the army dump about 35Kms away from here and they just were lost, I have been told they were buried on the base but no one can give me a answer as it happened in the last 10 years. There were a thousand SLR's cut into three bits and buried and we know were they are but it would be nice to crack the turrets. Ray

Ray,

I am intrigued to know why there were 93 Cromwell turrets in Australia, when only one Cromwell was shipped over during the war for evaluation, and that is still in its complete form at Pucka'. See here;

http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/Cromwell%20Down%20Under.htm

regards, Richard

Hey Kevin, I did see your add on Milweb, looks like a hell of a package you have there. I have always dreamt of a WW2 British tank in the collection...any chance you want to trade for a Stuart or a Sherman project? I know it's off topic...but I started this damn thread!