what is this from...aircraft wheel and landing gear pics

jim fl4

As said before, give us the reference numbers. Even the numbers off the tyre can sometimes help narrow down the list of suspects.

Hi, thanks for the prompt, I had looked and there are numerus serial numbers, all randem, many hard to make out. The main post has a fairly clear one, I shall get that and the numbers off the tyre and report back!

ok chaps, on tyre in white lettering about 2" high are the letters MYP?VM??.

Embossed on tyre 1/3" high is 27A 2087 and FC(R17( - N

On top of main leg is PC 7, on other side of leg, on a small plate are the small digits 400016 21 H 0798.

Clearly fairly old since the alloy wheel casting has actually corroded through in places, not easy to see on pics, but it has been in a field until now?

Cheeers

ok chaps, on tyre in white lettering about 2" high are the letters MYP?VM??.

Embossed on tyre 1/3" high is 27A 2087 and FC(R17( - N

On top of main leg is PC 7, on other side of leg, on a small plate are the small digits 400016 21 H 0798.

Clearly fairly old since the alloy wheel casting has actually corroded through in places, not easy to see on pics, but it has been in a field until now?

Cheeers

Hmm.. if the 27A 2087 is an Air Ministry stores code then:

27A Aircraft Wheel Equipment

21H 0798 may be another stores code...

Er, no: 21H is apparently "Hairdressing equipment", so unless it smells of Brylcreem it's not that.:-D

Chris.

27A 2087 confirms it is a tyre and also the size, and gives some individual manufacturer numbers (for Dunlop Firestone and Goodyear).

If the name on the side wasn't enough of a clue, the tread pattern and FRC17N confirm it's a Dunlop tyre.

Just going on the size of the tyre i narrowed it down to 4 main suspects, but after looking again and the given the short oleo length i'm pretty sure it came from a de Havilland Vampire.

There is good shot of the undercart in place here: http://www.modelersalliance.com/222-walkarounds/828-de-havilland-vampire

Thank you RAFMT for taking the time to investigate. I have googled many images of the vampire and the landing gear does look very similar indeed, however the '3 spoke' wheel is absent, not that that's important.

Which are the other possibilities?

Thanks again

The wheel in you photo was more common on earlier variants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Vampire

The image at the start of the "development" section shows your wheel type.

The other options i found, based on the tyre size, were Spitfire/Seafire (oleo too short) Meteor (completely different layout of undercarriage) or the Ambassador (presumably the nosewheels which were twin units). There may have been others but nothing i turned up.

• 4 months later...