Prc 346

andym

Andy

I assume they are the ones at TDM electronics ? I note the label says they are from a very early Bowman contract (CB/BOW/02 01/99) so may not be quite the final version.

They were intended to replace UK/PRC-344 in the forward air control role - some limited evidence at http://www.ptsnorfolk.co.uk/cdata/66117/docs/5408834_1.pdf

There is a video of one in use at

starting about 2'30s (not mine) ! The owner reports that they are 2W low and 7W high power and demonstrates operation on 2m and 6m

HTH

Iain

73 de G0OZS

The front panel looks similar to AN/PSC5 family also by Raytheon: http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/psc5c/

I guess they fitted a modified battery plate and audio connector to make a UK version ? What is odd is the lack of recent references - I have read elsewhere that FACs in recent years have used Harris sets (AN/PRC-117) so it may not have been bought for long or in large numbers

Regards

Iain

Thanks Iain - I think it's based on a Magnavox product known as TacGA but as you say, modified for a Clansman 351 battery and 7-pin audio. They went out of service some time ago, which makes it odd that there's very few of them around and no information about them, even an operator's manual. It's the latter that worries me most, especially if they're a substantial investment.

Andy

• 4 years later...

Thanks both - I've only just seen the replies to my old thread.

I currently have both a working 346 and the operator's manual (AESP 5820-F-299-201).  The service manual is a bit of a joke - basically if it goes wrong, send it back!

Andy

27 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Andy perhaps that service manual is a Level 1 publication rather than a Level 3 or 4 perhaps?

It's the only one, Clive.  As the radio is of US origin I suspect that's the nature of the original contract.

Andy

Hi

I have one and it is a nice set and works well, covers 2m,4m & 6m in the amateur bands, the only manual I could ever find is AESP 5820-F-299-201 , which you now have.

I use it standalone and have never found the harness that it can fit into, think I have a spare stubby antenna for it somewhere (there is a nice label on it stating stand 0.2m away due radiation hazard)

Like some of the other recent military radios they will be virtually impossible to repair.

Cheers

Richard