Blimey, that was a shock :).
Well Wild Card suggestions often get close to the answer Lauren.

I'm guessed the shape is to allow a look around, and the hessian is for camo, so presumbly it's something that the hessian will blend in with.

The hessian is what it is, if you see what I mean.

First of all apologies to everyone for the gaps & delays. I have no broadband here, our phone supplier is unable to get a signal to us this far from the exchange. Although we can't get a mobile signal, I can get a whisp of one from a yagi antenna on the roof. It is often quite good, but tonight there is a lot of rain & the signal intermittent. Even the speed test site takes 3 minutes to load its start page then gives up on the test!

Is it an observation embrasure for fitting into a sandbag wall or emplacement?

10 68

Yes well done! It is built into a sand bag to disguise it as an observation port in a sandbag wall.

Picture to follow

Yes it is often the way when there are people plugging away working through all possibilities & someone fresh to the problem spots a missed clue & moves in with the final part of the jigsaw. Anyway well done for picking up on the clues.