I'm looking to create a website. Which FREE provider do you recommend?

LarryH57

Larry, it should be fairly standard these days, but for simplicity's sake get something that has lots of choice of templates that you like, and get something that's based on blogging software like Wordpress or a content management system (CMS) like Drupal, Joomla etc. That way you can set the site up and post stuff on it just like you would post on a forum like this.

With 'free' web hosting watch out for the catches!

I think you'll struggle to get genuinely free hosting that hasn't got major catches - essentially, their costs are storage and bandwidth, both of which they'll want you to pay for somewhere.

The traditional way of doing this used to be to use the free hosting that came with a personal internet account, but I don't know of any service provider who does that any more, or to piggyback onto a favourably minded organisation or company who were happy to support your organisation. I don't have any suggestions apart from that, I'm afraid, but if you need reliable free hosting it'll need a bit of lateral thinking.

Ever found anything "Free" that's worth having?

Free websites mean endless pop-ups, ads & generally dodgy bits of code that'll spam the end users.

For a simple history page, then Facebook could be the way to go, just remember that not everybody does, or indeed will, use it.

Instead of a website, have you thought about just setting up a Facebook page? That can be almost as good as a dedicated site and it won't cost you anything.

Cheers,

Terry

That's a good thought, and one that didn't occur to me for some reason. There's also Facebook Groups if you want discussion, Google Plus, Google Groups, and other social media alternatives.

People not using Facebook or whatever need not necessarily be a problem as you can set the privacy setting so non-users can read your content, even if they can't interact.

Things to be aware of are whether the Facebook, Google or whoever layout and system works for what you want to do; they are very much designed to be used a particular way, which might or might not work for your purposes, and the options you get for layout, image placement etc. are pretty restricted.

You also have to remember that, as Pzkpfw-e says, there's no such thing as a free lunch - and there's a saying that on a commercial site if it's not obvious what the product is, it's you. That means with social media you have to do things their way and let them into your life a bit; their interest is in leveraging your personal information and content. That might be a price worth paying, it might not.