Vehicle History Land Rover Series 3 88"

Mickfl

Hi,

I've purchased the B vehicle record card for my Land Rover from RLC.

Any help explaining it would be greatly appreciated.

All I can make out is that it went to the Army Fire Brigade at Westmoors, not sure how long for. I don't understand what the "VBO" or "S/O" means in the TXN column. Does anyone know what the abbreviation ADT means in the Unit title column.

I think colour code 72 means bronze green gloss, if so would it have remained this colour until it was sold off? What markings, equipment etc... would it have carried when with the Army Fire Brigade?

Many Thanks,

Mick

40GT06.jpg

Edited by Mickfl

Hi,

I've purchased the B vehicle record card for my Land Rover from RLC.

Any help explaining it would be greatly appreciated.

All I can make out is that it went to the Army Fire Brigade at Westmoors, not sure how long for. I don't understand what the "VBO" or "S/O" means in the TXN column. Does anyone know what the abbreviation ADT means in the Unit title column.

I think colour code 72 means bronze green gloss, if so would it have remained this colour until it was sold off? What markings, equipment etc... would it have carried when with the Army Fire Brigade?

Many Thanks,

Mick

Hi Mick,

West Moors was a MoD petroleum depot in Dorset. S/O means 'struck off', in other words up for disposal. The CL Land Rover was basically a civilian model with only a few military fitments, often used as a runaround on barracks and bases. I recollect them in service and many were DBG gloss when new, often with white and yellow reflective registration plates too. Not sure on meaning of VBO. ADT at Aston Down was the disposal sales site. ADT being the auctioneers.

Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

Hi

I have 88" 'CL' , 07GN11 DIS. Jan. '78

Yours will be more or less as mine, the major (probably) only change was dual brakes , 11" front brakes and high level seat belt frame for inertia reelers , this would be mid. 1980 or a bit later. Civvy - the change point was July 1980 , depends on Contract date with MOD CL's.

So , the extras over a basic civvy Utility :-

1. Ammeter

2. NATO towing pack

3. De-luxe bonnet (rolled front edge) , civvy basic was a razor edge , dished bonnet because of the 6.50 tyres - civvy basic would be 6.00x16. Civvy Basic spare stowage was centre spine of tub transom

4. Bonnet lock hasp

5. Petrol lock hasp

(ISTR 4. + 5. - they were CL std. extras , not included on civvy basic)

6. Pedal rubbers

7. HD rear springs

8. HD shocks (all corners)

9. Rear seats for 4 persons

10. Chamois leather gaiters to chrome swivel balls

11. You may have had front 'D' tow-rings at front bumper bolts, ISTR mine-did not (came a bit later - can't recall exactly when)

12. ISTR mine came with sun-visors (s)

13. Front bumperettes - ISTR that no S3 88" CL's had them fitted at Solihull , but some were blinged in service..

btw - mine was Ex-TA Military Police , from what I noticed around Catterick - they always had a 88" CL parked outside the cop shop , never a Lightweight - so probably common practice , also S3 88" CL's were used at Catterick for driver training - always had a few bumps , seemed regular run of abt. 20 miles to a village cafe where they were parked up for quite a spell - probably the theory instruction LoL

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Hi

Mine came with a canvas hood, ISTR some of the RAF ones were supplied with a factory fitted hard-top (according to contract) , I don't recall seeing many ARMY 88" CL's in NE England with hard-top - not a long job to convert with a kit , it would be done local as required. Fire Brigade / police - tended to have a short mast for blue lamp - normally a simple strut with a pair of bolts through galv. screen frame at nearside - check yours for bolt holes.

Here are 2 shots of the West Moors Landie; Please note these pictures were posted on a RAF/DFS fire group on Facebook so credit for the pictures is to Steve Greenaway. These will show you everything you need to know- blue light, canvas top, markings , colour etc

regards TED

Thank you very much, you've answered a lot of questions for me.

Mick

Yours has red painted 'D' rings , I will have to hunt out a photograph of 07GN11 still on trailer from auction - I don't think it had them fitted at that stage.

The roof bracket mount for blue lamp , it does seem a daft idea when you wish a hood canvas to be water-tight , however you will find a RAF Police 88" photograph on the internet (I should have it saved) but a Rover 10 early type (that is a S2A with deep sills and headlamps in radiator panel with inverted T grille mesh , flat apron. Later Rover 10 had S3 wing mtd style headlamps and galv. X type grille mesh + shallow sills , curved apron -same as S3, so it was a bit of a S2A / S3 hybrid). As such - there were no S2A 88" CL's (commercial logistics).

Yours has red painted 'D' rings , I will have to hunt out a photograph of 07GN11 still on trailer from auction - I don't think it had them fitted at that stage.

The roof bracket mount for blue lamp , it does seem a daft idea when you wish a hood canvas to be water-tight , however you will find a RAF Police 88" photograph on the internet (I should have it saved) but a Rover 10 early type (that is a S2A with deep sills and headlamps in radiator panel with inverted T grille mesh , flat apron. Later Rover 10 had S3 wing mtd style headlamps and galv. X type grille mesh + shallow sills , curved apron -same as S3, so it was a bit of a S2A / S3 hybrid). As such - there were no S2A 88" CL's (commercial logistics).

Think I'll have to go for the mast on the screen as you suggested in your earlier post (if I can even find a lamp that is). Don't think I'd want to ruin any hood I might buy.

With a 88" CL resto. probably not much you can do , I like to keep authentic rather than glam-job (mine is on back-burner - decided to try std. rear springs because I had some NOS original by Bramber Eng. removed the HD's to fit to a L'wt and not got the new ones fitted). I have decided it will remain RMP - so obtained the front + rear MILITARY POLICE alloy plates (IIRC difference is black & white background with red letters). I should be able to tell you the correct Lucas Blue lamp (I re-protective wrapped & put somewhere safe LoL ), several years ago the RMP plates were readily available & Craddocks were selling the lamps. What I did obtain (slightly Waltish unless it was a NI theme I suppose) , fabricated lamp guard , still unisued in red oxide primer with MOD stores label - so not a replica fab. I was reliably informed these were often fitted to other vehicles inc. Bedford 4T when not in NI ?

Rather than drill your screen for a RSA lamp bracket , the other alternative is a rear tub antenna mount & extension pole.

The other glam job - I have is a Pye Westminster.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

This is the photograph , S2A 88" Rover 10 (early) , unfortunately on the front of this book it is heavily cropped - so beacon mount on roof missing. I have a good copy somewhere in full on this computer - can't find it just now.

No - I would not cut a hole in a good hood roof either !!

http://www.rafpa.com/ops..htm

Because it is a RAF Contract - it does not have the Army type air-lift bumperettes of a S2A , just std. bumperettes with front 'D' loops

This is the photograph , S2A 88" Rover 10 (early) , unfortunately on the front of this book it is heavily cropped - so beacon mount on roof missing. I have a good copy somewhere in full on this computer - can't find it just now.

No - I would not cut a hole in a good hood roof either !!

http://www.rafpa.com/ops..htm

Because it is a RAF Contract - it does not have the Army type air-lift bumperettes of a S2A , just std. bumperettes with front 'D' loops

It looks like I'll need a canvas hood, blue lamp with a mast, door transfers and D rings to get my landie looking the part. The canvas and D rings seem to be readily available but I've no idea where to source the lamp and transfers. Am I right in thinking the paint is called bronze green?

The in-service photographs of 40GT06 , the vehicle was still in DBG (Deep Bronze Green) a standard Solihull factory finish.

You may just be lucky with the decals , you should be able to find a accurate small one , even on a mug but best flat. Now with computers there are firms doing vehicle graphics , AFAIK they can scan, then scale up and print off in vinyl. Find a firm that does police patrol cars.

MOD blue lamps , IIRC there were two or three in common use , in later years - Iknow people were buying a obsolete industrial model readily available £ cheap for fork trucks etc. - then obtaining a blue lens for it. There may be some in period NOS around still but probably scarce , To get the pukka lamp several years ago , it was quite expensive IIRC £30 or £40 ,,

• 3 weeks later...