Alco Featherweight charging set

Hi Guys,

I have obtained an Alco Featherweight accumulator charging set and am trying to find out more about it eg when made ,where used,what used for( charging batteries for what ?) etc,

c0583688-9703-4b48-bfda-26bcd20c27b6_zpsv11opqcj.jpg

The above is a plate on the engine which I think indicates that it was made for the Air Ministry.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

All the best,

Kev.

Sorry Guys,

I meant to include this photo in my post but it got lost in the ether!

This plate is on the generator part of the unit.

Kev.

Hi Kev,

I also have one of these, mine shown on the plates as made by Arthur Lyon & Co., Africa House, Kingsway, London. This is where the name 'ALCO' comes from. As far as I know, these are battery charging units of WW2 era for the RAF. The engine is unusual for a small generator of the time, as it is overhead valve, and was actually made by J.A.P (J.A.Prestwich) for ALCO. Never found a manual yet and would like a photocopy or scan if anyone has one.

regards, Richard

Here is a pic of the whole unit as requested.

f7c8007d-99ca-43be-aad1-ce03f4be9527_zpshonkxdli.jpg

It appears to be complete and even has its origenal holder for an oil container.It has apparently stood idle in a barn for over 65 years.I cannot get it to go at the moment due to a mag problem - good spark off the engine,no spark when all connected up to the gears etc.Very frustrating!

Richard - I believe that the actual engine is based on the JAP 3,also called the JAP model 3,I believe that the ministry called it a JAP 3 Alco.I am also looking for a manual - so far without success.I will let you know if I find one.

All the best,

Kev.

Richard - I believe that the actual engine is based on the JAP 3,also called the JAP model 3,I believe that the ministry called it a JAP 3 Alco.I am also looking for a manual - so far without success.I will let you know if I find one.

All the best,

Kev.

The manual can be requested from the WS19 website as Doc 740: Lyon "Alco Featherweight" Charging Set 360 Watts Description, Working Instructions and List of Spare Parts, Undated

Chris. (I don't think I've still got the original that it was scanned from though.)

The manual can be requested from the WS19 website as Doc 740: Lyon "Alco Featherweight" Charging Set 360 Watts Description, Working Instructions and List of Spare Parts, Undated

Chris. (I don't think I've still got the original that it was scanned from though.)

Thanks Chris,

Will give that a go, cheers Richard

Got it ! Been looking for a manual for years and bingo.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Me too. I had endless trouble . The site is run by a pedantic minded chap .

When you spend a vast amount of time and effort in finding, buying, scanning cleaning and uploading manuals and some little scrote comes along and downloads the lot to sell CDs of on eBay or to pass off as his own work, people understandably get a little peevish.>:(

All the rules (and hoop-jumping) are there for historically good reasons, unfortunately.:cry:

(As is the permanent block on .cn after some comedian repeatedly downloaded the whole archive, blew the download limit, and cost the gnomes several hundred dollars in hosting fees.):mad:

Chris.

(Junior Password Gnome.)