Rexine seat material

Zero-Five-Two

This firm is selling Vinide (Rexine) , they seem to claim it is a successor

http://www.martrim.co.uk/catalogue/vinide-leather-cloths.html

Not seen a sample , I think I will request ,, most of the alternatives I have seen are stretch-type

--------

Vinide - seems a word play on Vynide

Vynide was defo. manufactured last by Wardle Storey - I know that for certain, Vynide is the very hard wearing non-stretch fabric used on MOD contract to end of Series 3 Land Rovers.

Rexine was similar non-stretch but thicker with a softer feel. Champ / Austin K9

Vynide and Rexine were both at one time trade names owned by ICI

There's a place in Manchester that does Rexine, I found it a few months back. Can't recall the name, unfortunately, but I'm sure Google will know.

Could be the site MatchFuzee quotes is referring to the genuine branded Rexine made by the trademark holder, while other sites advertising Rexine are in fact referring to a copy or leathercloth.

Edited by Sean N

Reply from Martrim

Dear Mr Xxxxx,

I will arrange for the requested samples to be sent to your address and look forward to your feedback.

Our Vinide/leather cloth is made to imitate the original Wardle Story rexine.

We have had some of this material however it is in limited quantity and colours,

I can check our stocks and send you samples of anything we have from this range if this of interest?

Kind Regards,

Ben

--------

Let you know my IMHO when samples arrives ,,

• 2 weeks later...

Well - this last week I received sample swatches from the two mentioned suppliers of "Rexine" , from first blush - the Ratchford fabric is not suitable IMHO for automotive seating - they are after all more in to book coverings.

The material from Martrim - seems a bit thicker with less stretch , the same basic stretch test as used with the Ratchford samples , seems no permanent deformation.

Martrim - they use the words 'vinide leather cloth' (AKA Rexine) , in a way it may be the nearest you are going to get 2016 to original Rexine , the smell is not present , the thickness is not present - however the recipe for the original Rexine product will not have been used for may years , so I accept we are looking for a ersatz.

The Martrim - I would guess it is in thickness very similar to the genuine Wardle Storey 'Vynide' , it does have less stretch than many substitute cotton backed type materials I have requested samples of in the last 25 years.

When I have time , I need to study better with a glass and micrometer and report back , along with the odd comment by supplier regarding the supply situation from manufacturers..

The modern equivalent materials will likely have to comply with modern fire regulation (among others), so will necessity be different to the original. I had the same issue when hunting for a suitable alternative for the interior of a CVRT. I found a near-match, but it was the end of a line so alas I can't obtain any more. I really ought to start making the panels!