Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Libya, Tripolitania, vehicles, barracks 1950s to 1966

Default Re: Libya, Tripolitania, vehicles, barracks 1950s to 1966

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
    Hang on, yes, I do know about the housebodied thing. Look at this, though I don't know whether it's Tripoli or Eqypt. Many vehicles that John Newton seems to have photographed whilst based at 10 Ord Depot Geneifa appear again in Tripoli where he was posted to from Geneifa. 3RHA, less J Battery, were also based in different camps in Eqypt and their BLR vehicles ended up in 10 Ord Depot workshop and were shipped back to workshops in Tripoli for repair/scrapping and thence to Homs to where J Battery were awaiting the return of the rest of 3RHA from Egypt. Some Scammells and DTs photod by John in Egypt appear in his Tripoli photos too! Every unit evacuated Egypt in a hurry with many of them finding themselves sent to Libya or Cyprus, again, and some into premature disbandonment prior to being hurriedly reconstituted again for Suez.
    Photo by John Newton REME
    Thanks Lizzie, I did wonder if it was on a Bedford OY, and it was! I think it is what is sometimes referred to as a 'gin palace' !

No I did not see the Sexton

cheers Richard
    Richard Farrant

1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE President and Newsletter Editor

2. Advertisement

LIZZIE two bits for you CENTURION MK V11 43 BA 03 took part in extreme temperature trails returning back to
    LUDGERSHALL 19/5/59 its FVRDE wing number was 5012

Quote Originally Posted by wally dugan View Post
    LIZZIE two bits for you CENTURION MK V11 43 BA 03 took part in extreme temperature trails returning back to
    LUDGERSHALL 19/5/59 its FVRDE wing number was 5012

See, see I told you there was sound reasoning behind my push for an explanation! Dear Wally, you are the bees knees and I can't thank you enough for that priceless piece of information. Where did you look to get it (no, don't say it's a secret!). Got any more info on it?

Well, it didn't go back to Ludgershall from Egypt as that had shut down years before but it doesn't mean that it went back from Tripoli either. I still need to prove the location for the photos.
    During Malkara/Hornet 'heat' trials, the report suggested the Libyan desert was not hot enough and so other 'hotter' venues were sought. I wonder if this Centurion went elsewhere too, for 'hotter' extremes? 3 years on heat trials. Hmmm, fascinating stuff.

In another thread on here last week, a revelation (in my opinion as I knew no different) was made (if I remember correctly) that The Tank museum had told the poster that the armoured vehicle record card system was non-existent prior to 1968. If so, would it be the same for B-vehicles and thus explain why my 'bought from the RLC archive' record card for Scammell Explorer 94BD17 (Libya) was blank from its 1955 date-into-service until it was listed in 1968 at a Malta VSD?
    How did Wally track down his wonderful information then and, what happened to this tank post-Ludgershall?
    First Class, Five Star research material result! And sand-coloured stuff too!

LIZZIE
    I would like to deal with the vehicle cards first I cannot speak about the armoured cards but the 419B CARDs for B vehicles
    came in to use in 1950 the first series been 00 BC 01 for contract number 6/v/3659 truck quarter ton GS 4 X 4 MK1
    ROVER. Some of the early vehicle history cards did survive about 25 thousand history cards were disposed of in the clean
    up in 1980 ish the ones at THE RLC were collected by the museum of army transport from 1985 till its close
    34 BA 03 THE details came from the FVRDE ESTABLISHMENT LISTS which l saved when it closed down as yet again no one wanted them so along with trails reports hundreds of photographs they came home with me as to 34 BA 03 it seems it came back to FVRDE after a short stay at LUDGERSHALL until 28/8/62 when it went to the RAC BOVINGTON

Wally, do your records state when the tank went out on extreme temperature trials? A date might help narrow down where the tank went on its trials and when. Fingers crossed!

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread Information