Engine colour?

Bob 110

Question

Richard,

I bow to your vastly superior experience. To be honest, now you make me think about it I'm not sure I'm remembering right.

I noted the engine colour when I went to look at it, thinking of this discussion, but I should have reported it immediately I returned. I may be remembering wrong, perhaps led astray by the photo (not withstanding what I say below!). At least I'm not sure enough of my ageing memory to stick to my guns, so I'll withdraw this as a data point!

Clive,

It looks eau de nil on this screen, but I'm not sure I'd set too much store by looking at images on a computer (despite what I've said immediately above). There's too much opportunity for the colours to be wrong; camera calibration, white balance, colour gamuts, screen calibration and so on.

I might try to get a couple of images of known colours so we can see what each other is seeing, as it were.

Hi Richard, yes; I think the question is more how these things appear on screen and how the paint ages rather than what eau-de-nil and sky blue look like new in the flesh. That engine in your link is definitely eau-de-nil on my screen.

hi Sean,

Over the years I have noticed engines such as the Rolls B range in armour, which are in Sky Blue, actually change colour slightly, due to heat, grime, oil, etc no doubt. I was trying to find a photo of another engine I rebuilt and painted in Sky Blue for comparision.

Richard

I think that's definitely the case; to muddy the waters further, the sky blue is (to me) really obviously sky blue when new, and I would say is definitely blue not greenish in colour, but ages greener; while the eau-de-nil ages to a lighter colour closer to an aged sky blue!

I did a Google image search to see if I could find any good examples for this discussion; I didn't really come up with anything reliable, but did see a couple of photos of LandRover engines which were said to be, and I think must have been from my experience, sky blue - but looked distinctly green in the photos.

Sean yes Sky Blue. I ran into this problem when I was writing the last charging article, I had some nice pictures but they turned out too green. With digital I could instantly compare the pics with what I saw before me, so I had to tweak the colour correction to tone the greenish out to get what I could see.

Data point - see this thread about the NZ CVRT rebuild:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?56120-Scorpion-Scimitar-Restoration-in-New-Zealand&p=484302#post484302

Photos only, but I see these engines as first one OEM red with maybe sky blue traces, other two sky blue.

Sean,

The CVR(T) is a Belgian army, they painted their engines a dull red on rebuild,

Oh OK, hadn't picked that up. Thanks Richard. Are you seeing some small fragments of sky bue on it or is it just my eyes?

Incidentally on the OLBC engine colour, the more I think about it the more I think I noted it as sky blue at the time and then had brain fade later, but I can't be sure so can't take it as a point of information.

Oh OK, hadn't picked that up. Thanks Richard. Are you seeing some small fragments of sky bue on it or is it just my eyes?

hi Sean,

Thought I saw a showing of Sky Blue, as they were that colour from new it is quite possible. The Belgian rebuild colour is like Red Oxide, I remember stripping an engine from a Belgian pre-production Striker once.

It has been discussed before on HMVF but I had forgotten that the Belgians painted their engines red and that the CVRT and parts in that topic had come from Belgium.

I can't recall the 'fresh' colour - am I right in thinking it was about the same as the red oxide on the inside of Perkins engines?

Whilst researching, I found this at the IWM and, whilst delighted it was at the barracks, Tigne, where in 1963 I went to school and came last in the egg n' spoon race on sports day, I was even more delighted as it shows that everything on this vehicle is Light Stone, yes, sand, sand and more sand. A bit of silver and more sand. Not a sniff of sky blue or eau de nil. Or any other colour!

The vehicle is easy to identify as I saw the description :D though you may struggle, perhaps?

Photo credit IWM website.

Tigne Barracks Wksp REME Malta 1963-Photo credit IWM.jpg