Combat Engineer Tractors in the Falklands

Tarland

The FV180 gets a couple of mentions on the Forums of this site under the theme of the Falklands/Op Corporate.

It would appear two CET's went down South with the Task Force.

There is a good article on the Falklands Airfields and a further article on the Logistics operation on the Think Defence blog:

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/black-buck-runways-1982-falkland-islands-conflict/conflict/

(The TD website is a goldmine of articles on obscure military topics - historical and current if you havent come across it)

Theres a photo of a CET laying trackway as part of building the Forward Operating Base at San Carlos.

I have read somewhere that a CET was subsequently blown up in the minefield surronding Stanley Airport and I am sure that theres a photo somewhere of the remains of the vehicle but I have not been able to trace it......

Can anyone help with photos of the CET's in the Falklands?

Here's two I've located

CET In Stanley.jpg

01 fd 58 San Carlos.jpg

The FV180 gets a couple of mentions on the Forums of this site under the theme of the Falklands/Op Corporate.

It would appear two CET's went down South with the Task Force.

There is a good article on the Falklands Airfields and a further article on the Logistics operation on the Think Defence blog:

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/black-buck-runways-1982-falkland-islands-conflict/conflict/

(The TD website is a goldmine of articles on obscure military topics - historical and current if you havent come across it)

Theres a photo of a CET laying trackway as part of building the Forward Operating Base at San Carlos.

I have read somewhere that a CET was subsequently blown up in the minefield surronding Stanley Airport and I am sure that theres a photo somewhere of the remains of the vehicle but I have not been able to trace it......

Can anyone help with photos of the CET's in the Falklands?

Here's two I've located

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118119[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]118120[/ATTACH]

A work colleague of mine was in the Royal Engineers and went to the Falklands with the Task Force, in fact he was in one of the Haulmatics when the MEXE Float overturned! He told me that his unit took 6 Combat Engineer Tractors with them, but were far too busy getting things sorted out to take any photos.

By the way the person that loaded the Haulmatics on to the MEXE float used to work with us until 2 weeks ago, the Haulmatics were rescued, and were at work 2 days later, all drivers survived albeit wet and cold.

Used to know a Cpl Dave Hutchinson RE back then he was involved in the drowning of the haulamatics, used to retell the story regularly. If I remember rightly he was driving the MEXE when it went in

The chap that I work with is Brian Jarrett, ex RE, the chap involved in the loading was John Stone of the RCT.

• 2 weeks later...

YouTube video - film transfered to video - Film taken by a member of 59 Commando Squadron RE of their action in the Falklands (I think the camera man was the commanding officer - he is in a BBC interview about the Falkalnd minefields)

Includes footage of a CET training for beach landing on Ascension Island en-route down south.

In doing a bit more research located a mention of the CET loss in Edward Fursdon's book - "Falklands Aftermath". This also mentions in passing the loss and subsequent recovery of the Haulamatic's off the Mexeflote.

The blown up CET also gets a mention on the ARRSE Forum - but no photos. (Mexe incident also gets a mention under the Sappers section)

Edited by Tarland

YouTube video - film transfered to video - Film taken by a member of 59 Commando Squadron RE of their action in the Falklands (I think the camera man was the commanding officer - he is in a BBC interview about the Falkalnd minefields)

Includes footage of a CET training for beach landing on Ascension Island en-route down south.

In doing a bit more research located a mention of the CET loss in Edward Fursdon's book - "Falklands Aftermath". This also mentions in passing the loss and subsequent recovery of the Haulamatic's off the Mexeflote.

The blown up CET also gets a mention on the ARRSE Forum - but no photos. (Mexe incident also gets a mention under the Sappers section)

Absolutely fantastic footage, CET actually swimming in the sea off beach in Ascension, never knew this existed !

• 8 months later...