Ferret Fuel Pump.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Just wondering, has anyone here ever tried and succeeded in removing the fuel pump from a Mk1 ferret without taking out the fuel tank and all the other items before the tank can be taken out. I think I have read somewhere on the forum that it is possible but wondered if its a lot of hassle and just as quick to take the tank out.

Ferret work solo is four times as hard as having fitter A and fitter B as per the book.

There are some cheats, you can do it from underneath but you had better be double jointed nearly.

Pulling the tank forward is a pain especially if you still use it and haven't switched to a separate fuel source as we are doing.

Honestly, take the opportunity to address a number of issues at the same time and do the best job you can.

The fuel pump is a robust little unit and works well if used often and is fed good fuel.

Thanks for the reply Robin. I could ask the wife to step up to the task of helping out, she would be more than willing to but the air would be blue within a couple of minutes and a fight would soon follow lol. I need to overhaul the pump as I would hate to have the ferret breakdown out on the road in the middle of nowhere.

If the current one works, there isn't much point in overhauling it. A much more likely cause of a fuel related breakdown is a blockage in either of the fuel lines coming from the bottom of the tank to the fuel tap, or a failure of the tap gasket itself. Both of these can be reasonably easily accessed by removing the battery boxes and the radio platform.

If you can't get a bit of MIG wire through the lines, they are blocked. Mine were full of a fine, muddy silt.

Cheers,

Terry

Well today was the first time I have had the ferret running since I acquired it about a year ago. Engine was sized through non use, took the head off to find 2 valves had stuck closed. Took all the valves out, cleaned and re-seated them. New points, condenser and plugs. Redone the timing and with a temp. fuel supply away she went. All the neighbours came out after seeing all the smoke pouring from the engine bay and exhaust. This was due to all the years of diesel, WD40 and god knows what else put down the bores to try to free them off. After about 10mins running she ran clean. Generator kicks in so know that's working. Oil pressure lamps goes out, also a reassuring. So bit the bullet and took the tank out, lots of cursing, but managed to get it out on my own. Got the fuel pump off to find it was full of rusty water. Refurb kit to be ordered tomorrow. Need to pressure up the tank to see if there are any leaks. Then once that's all put together its just cosmetics to finish. Oh need to sort the brakes, got a set of flexi's to put on then away we go.:drive:

So 33BA3 soon to be on the road.

Well today was the first time I have had the ferret running since I acquired it about a year ago. Engine was sized through non use, took the head off to find 2 valves had stuck closed. Took all the valves out, cleaned and re-seated them. New points, condenser and plugs. Redone the timing and with a temp. fuel supply away she went. All the neighbours came out after seeing all the smoke pouring from the engine bay and exhaust. This was due to all the years of diesel, WD40 and god knows what else put down the bores to try to free them off. After about 10mins running she ran clean. Generator kicks in so know that's working. Oil pressure lamps goes out, also a reassuring. So bit the bullet and took the tank out, lots of cursing, but managed to get it out on my own. Got the fuel pump off to find it was full of rusty water. Refurb kit to be ordered tomorrow. Need to pressure up the tank to see if there are any leaks. Then once that's all put together its just cosmetics to finish. Oh need to sort the brakes, got a set of flexi's to put on then away we go.:drive:

So 33BA3 soon to be on the road.

Great news, I think I am about two years behind you, it'll be great to see a YouTube video when you get it running again. :-)

Thanks for the reply Robin. I could ask the wife to step up to the task of helping out, she would be more than willing to but the air would be blue within a couple of minutes and a fight would soon follow lol. I need to overhaul the pump as I would hate to have the ferret breakdown out on the road in the middle of nowhere.

You might like to see this thread from MLU forum from a few years back, read from message 7 onwards;

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16094&highlight=ferret+pump+wife

Got the new pump kit and all done. One question, is there any particular way the suction and delivery inlet and outlet connections should be sited on the block. I have reconnected the delivery pipe from the pump to the carb ok but did not have a pipe from the suction side to the connecting union on the bell housing. Have since sourced one but it will not fit in a month of Sundays. My pump sits with the 2 connections at 9-15 where as the new pipe I have looked to enter the pump from at about just past the left of bottom centre when connected to the inion. Where these pipes basically made for the way the pump sat on the block. There is no way I could bend it to fit, the angle would be to acute just seems to long to fit. Can I cut the pipe and use a piece of petrol hose to connect the 2 flanges together. If I was to take the pump to bits and turn the body to help this pipe fit then the delivery pipe would be out and to short. Any ideas would be of help.

Cheers Steve.

Got the new pump kit and all done. One question, is there any particular way the suction and delivery inlet and outlet connections should be sited on the block. I have reconnected the delivery pipe from the pump to the carb ok but did not have a pipe from the suction side to the connecting union on the bell housing. Have since sourced one but it will not fit in a month of Sundays. My pump sits with the 2 connections at 9-15 where as the new pipe I have looked to enter the pump from at about just past the left of bottom centre when connected to the inion. Where these pipes basically made for the way the pump sat on the block. There is no way I could bend it to fit, the angle would be to acute just seems to long to fit. Can I cut the pipe and use a piece of petrol hose to connect the 2 flanges together. If I was to take the pump to bits and turn the body to help this pipe fit then the delivery pipe would be out and to short. Any ideas would be of help.

Cheers Steve.

Decided to remove the pump again and turn it at an angle which would allow both pipes to be fitted. Had to reshape both of the supply and delivery pipes to get them to fit, nightmare as I didn't want to bend them to a point where they would be of no use. It is now running out of a jerry can until I get the tank back in. Such a relief to know the pump is now working as it should and not to have to install an electric pump, like to keep it as original as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

When fitting a new diaphragm ensure that the diaphragm is level by operating the cam lever against the spring then screw the screws tight .This will stop the diaphragm being put under undue stress and later causing a tear .

The trouble with the mechanical fuel pumps on vehicles is when the diaphragm is damaged it leaks into the oil in the sump causing oil to be thinned so I tend to favor an electric pump .Another set of advantages of this is the vehicle starts up straight away and the pump makes a noise when fuel is almost gone .