Mk 2 Stove

Surveyor

Just Bought an unissued MK 2 stove, the instructions say to use gasoline but another thread says to use Coleman's fuel;

http://www.6thairbornearmouredreconnaissanceregiment.com/rations-and-cooking.html

Any suggestions as I don't want to wreck the thing

I do have a picture from another stove with the instructions, just trying to source a supplier who can make one to go on this stove

, WP_20160809_12_03_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20160809_12_03_58_Pro.jpg

normal petrol fine or use any fuel that lights apart from desiel pump as hard as you can put key pipe onto fitting under burner turn till a bit of petrol in cup turn off light petrol in cap then turn pipe key slowly till get a nice blue flame never undue filler when flame lit wait until cool very easy to use

Avoid ASDA petrol - doesn't burn at all well.

Diana

Just Bought an unissued MK 2 stove, the instructions say to use gasoline but another thread says to use Coleman's fuel;

http://www.6thairbornearmouredreconnaissanceregiment.com/rations-and-cooking.html

Any suggestions as I don't want to wreck the thing

I do have a picture from another stove with the instructions, just trying to source a supplier who can make one to go on this stove

, [ATTACH=CONFIG]117716[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]117716[/ATTACH]

Yep the good old No.2 Cooker! If kept clean & looked after, they are very reliable. As one of the MANY other tasks in the Armourers workshop. we were responsible for cooker repairs (& Kero Heaters!) & I have serviced & repaired many hundereds of these.

Yours is an Improved model, with stainless steel diffuser & 'Key' operated flame control.

The original models had a single jet in a steel funnel cup. & these used to get blocked quite frequently. These cookers had a single strand of wire mounted in an Ally handle. This was for clearing the jets when needed, which as I said previously.

Was a common occurance. This was due to debris build up in the jet, from small/ tiny. Paint flakes, from filling from jerry cans. J/Cs were red led paint lined internally. This did in time flake off, & cause the blockages.

Even the small mesh filter screen in the filling funnel. Did not stop the fine dust like particles from clogging the jets in usage!

These are easy work on & keep going in the field. Which is a boon at shows! They are VERY efficient when up & running, & get your pans hot. VERY quickly! ;)

Edited by ferretfixer

Yep the good old No.2 Cooker! If kept clean & looked after, they are very reliable. As one of the MANY other tasks in the Armourers workshop. we were responsible for cooker repairs (& Kero Heaters!) & I have serviced & repaired many hundereds of these.

Yours is an Improved model, with stainless steel diffuser & 'Key' operated flame control.

The original models had a single jet in a steel funnel cup. & these used to get blocked quite frequently. These cookers had a single strand of wire mounted in an Ally handle. This was for clearing the jets when needed, which as I said previously.

Was a common occurance. This was due to debris build up in the jet, from small/ tiny. Paint flakes, from filling from jerry cans. J/Cs were red led paint lined internally. This did in time flake off, & cause the blockages.

Even the small mesh filter screen in the filling funnel. Did not stop the fine dust like particles from clogging the jets in usage!

These are easy work on & keep going in the field. Which is a boon at shows! They are VERY efficient when up & running, & get your pans hot. VERY quickly! ;)

Many thanks for the info

I use Number 3 stoves (the larger 2 burner version of the No. 2) a lot at events for cooking, despite the large number of people in the living history hobby claiming they are unsafe. I've found they are fine as long as you are conscious of what you are doing and take care.

I've certainly never had any problems....well apart from the one time i was testing one i was in the middle of refurbishing and discovered that one of the leather washers was too far gone. Big puddle of petrol that went up :wow:, the rest of the group claimed they had never seen me sidle away so fast (hands in pockets whistling innocently of course! :-D)

Now then chaps, giving the No. 2 cooker a service and it appears the seal in the NRV has gone as the pump cylinder is full of petrol which leaks out = a bit risky!!

Question is, how is the NRV removed from the end of the pump cylinder? All help much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

• 2 months later...