Likely Lads or not

ruxy

I think they are 'Likely Lads' because of ersatz truck ,, I just can't think of what the truck is , something from the 1970's methinks , fibre-glass based on VW Beetle floorpan ?

Not a Munga (first consideration) , certain it is not a genuine WW2 Kubelwagen .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3729111/A-police-force-forced-delete-offensive-insensitive-tweet-invasion-two-men-pictured-Nazi-uniform.html

- please assist.

Just being nosy LoL

`I just can't think of what the truck is , something from the 1970's methinks , fibre-glass based on VW Beetle floorpan ?`

Sorry to dissapoint, but the vehicle is VW181. Over 50,000 were produced between 1969 and 1982 for certain NATO armies and, sold in lesser quantities on the civilian market in several countries. Utilising none of the WW2 panels, the build quality of the VW181 was a big improvement over the original Kubel (VW82). Incidentally, the car was based on a VW Carman Ghia floor-pan, with a beefed-up suspension. The car in the pic looks in reasonable condition with only minor changes at the front (missing issue military bull bar)

As for the uniforms - the tunic and caps look almost modern Bundeswehr?

Was similarly stopped maybe 20 years ago driving my VW181 by 2 local cops who pulled me over at a roadblock (on the pretence of checking for escaped prisoners). Both wanted to know everything about my car and, we all had a good laugh with everyone taking it for the humour that it was meant to convey.

Sad times we live in where the guys on the front line cannot even have a laugh without risking being reprimanded !

Steve 82.

Names (repeatable - in public anyway) for the vehicle:

VW181 = LH drive model and called `Thing` in the US, `Safari` in Mexico, `kubel` in Germany and other continental countries

VW182 = RH drive model and called `Trekker` in the UK

Edited by Steve 82

• 1 month later...
`I just can't think of what the truck is , something from the 1970's methinks , fibre-glass based on VW Beetle floorpan ?`

Sorry to dissapoint, but the vehicle is VW181. Over 50,000 were produced between 1969 and 1982 for certain NATO armies and, sold in lesser quantities on the civilian market in several countries. Utilising none of the WW2 panels, the build quality of the VW181 was a big improvement over the original Kubel (VW82). Incidentally, the car was based on a VW Carman Ghia floor-pan, with a beefed-up suspension. The car in the pic looks in reasonable condition with only minor changes at the front (missing issue military bull bar)

As for the uniforms - the tunic and caps look almost modern Bundeswehr?

Was similarly stopped maybe 20 years ago driving my VW181 by 2 local cops who pulled me over at a roadblock (on the pretence of checking for escaped prisoners). Both wanted to know everything about my car and, we all had a good laugh with everyone taking it for the humour that it was meant to convey.

Sad times we live in where the guys on the front line cannot even have a laugh without risking being reprimanded !

Steve 82.

Names (repeatable - in public anyway) for the vehicle:

VW181 = LH drive model and called `Thing` in the US, `Safari` in Mexico, `kubel` in Germany and other continental countries

VW182 = RH drive model and called `Trekker` in the UK

I think you mean Karmann Ghia! The chassis was essentially the same as a Beetle chassis, but 185mm wider. These were then delivered to Karmann in Osnabruck (founded by Wilhelm Karmann), who built and fitted the Karmann Ghia bodies to them. You're right, of course, that this chassis was also utilised for the VW 181.

As for the uniforms, they look like a repro Werhmacht officer's (epaulettes not clearly visible, so can't tell rank), and a repro Waffen SS brigadefuhrer, or above (collar patches not clearly visible); definitely no Bundeswehr items. They might have been rather less controversial, and certainly a lot more authentic, to have attired themselves in BW uniforms. Look like a pair of Walter Mitties as shown !

• 2 weeks later...