US Army truck brush guards

Great War truck

I was asked an interesting question (well, interesting to me, but to everyone else please replace the word interesting with obscure), as to who made the brush guards fitted to US Army trucks in WW1.

As you will have seen Ian Morgan is restoring a Liberty b truck which came with a brush guard which has the name “Cambria steel company” on it. However, I think this was just the name of the steel manufacturer.

I have had a look at some of the different brush guards used by the US Army and note that they are generally all quite different so I suspect they were supplied by the manufacturer as opposed to a brush guard contractor. Any thoughts or observations please. Thanks

Pierce Arrow:

8%20PA_zpsl06zi9re.jpg

White:

9%20Wh_zpshwpelpo4.jpg

Packard:

7%20Pac_zpsuaki29xi.jpg

Liberty B

5%20Lib_zpshkomwsz8.jpg

Gramm Bernstein:

3%20GB_zpsmowcggi2.jpg

Heavy Aviation:

1%20HA_zpsxkf0gecp.jpg

Locomobile:

6%20Loco_zpsz5ricunh.jpg

GMC:

2%20GMC_zpssaspkncf.jpg

Interestingly, the two trucks used by the US Army which appeared to need a brush guard the most (FWD and Quad) were not fitted with them outside the USA.

Quad:

4%20Jeff_zpslaiakhda.jpg

FWD:

10%20FWD_zpsxub5ngwk.jpg

As you will have seen Ian Morgan is restoring a Liberty b truck which came with a brush guard which has the name “Cambria steel company” on it. However, I think this was just the name of the steel manufacturer.

Not necessarily, it seems (from a brief Google) that the company made ploughs and agricultural items, and there is a photo of a machine shop making axles:

http://www.jaha.org/DiscoveryCenter/steel.html

The blacksmiths shop: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/pa2288.photos.356644p/resource/ looks more like a manufacturing setup than a repair facility, too.

• 4 months later...