835 Heavy Recovery Section

Tarland

In the HMSO publication "Breakdown - A history of Recovery Vehicles in the British Army" (Baxter 1989) 835 Section get a mention for the recovery of various Tigers etc. during 1944/45.

Theres a very grainy photo of the Section members on a StuG III assault gun that had been commandeered and converted into an ARV......

Can anyone suggest any resources for further researching 835?

I was going to try the REME Museum at Arborfield Garrison but is there any other publications or sources of information out there on the actions of the REME Heavy Sections?

I would try asking the question here http://ww2talk.com/forums/forum/115-remeraoc/.

The unit war diary is the definitive source these are held at the National Archives Kew, the official web site is not the best for finding this sort of thing so if you want to pursue this let me know and I'll give you the name and link of a researcher who has found and copied a number of obscure war diaries for me at very reasonable cost.

I have no connection with him other than a satisfied customer.

Pete

In the HMSO publication "Breakdown - A history of Recovery Vehicles in the British Army" (Baxter 1989) 835 Section get a mention for the recovery of various Tigers etc. during 1944/45.

Theres a very grainy photo of the Section members on a StuG III assault gun that had been commandeered and converted into an ARV......

Can anyone suggest any resources for further researching 835?

I was going to try the REME Museum at Arborfield Garrison but is there any other publications or sources of information out there on the actions of the REME Heavy Sections?

The REME Museum has moved to Lyneham, they are still in the process of setting up and archiving. The opening date is still to be announced.