Painting and primming

agripper

Question

Have decided to bite the bullet and repaint my CVR(T). Have had it for sake for a while now but not been to bothered if it went or not , the paint work is what you would expect from any vehicle that has been in service with lots of layers of paint and some flaking. Sadly the last person who came to look at her decided to start pulling the paint off in large lumps, not sure why anyone feels they have the right to pull off paint from a vehicle they dont own but less said about that.

What I need to know is what is the best base primmer to use before repaint. I know I will need to use a etch primmer but not sure if the colour is that important. I will be going to use NATO Green and black colour scheme , so was going to go for a grey primmer but have seen black is available. Which is the best to go for and approx how much would give me a descent base coat? Would have thought 2lt should do it. What is the best colour to use for the interior?:cool:

7 answers to this question

2 pack etch sprayed colour irrelevant and 2 pack epoxy primer(usually grey) sprayed, then whatever topcoat you need.

both the 2 pack etch and epoxy will/may lift old paint. So all the old paint needs removing. One coat of 2 pack epoxy should do, its tough stuff.

You will probably need epoxy thinners with the primer. NATO green goes well over grey.

Diana

Have decided to bite the bullet and repaint my CVR(T). Have had it for sake for a while now but not been to bothered if it went or not , the paint work is what you would expect from any vehicle that has been in service with lots of layers of paint and some flaking. Sadly the last person who came to look at her decided to start pulling the paint off in large lumps, not sure why anyone feels they have the right to pull off paint from a vehicle they dont own but less said about that.

What I need to know is what is the best base primmer to use before repaint. I know I will need to use a etch primmer but not sure if the colour is that important. I will be going to use NATO Green and black colour scheme , so was going to go for a grey primmer but have seen black is available. Which is the best to go for and approx how much would give me a descent base coat? Would have thought 2lt should do it. What is the best colour to use for the interior?:cool:

I am going to have to Brush and roll the paint as I dont have the space to spray and dont want to upset the neighbors with over-spray. I have picked this section for this question as I am not very up on paints. Can I roll 2 pack, thought it was mostly for spraying?

I am going to have to Brush and roll the paint as I dont have the space to spray and dont want to upset the neighbors with over-spray. I have picked this section for this question as I am not very up on paints. Can I roll 2 pack, thought it was mostly for spraying?

You can roll/brush 2 pack etch, but I wouldn't roll or brush 2 pack epoxy. Etch is also liable to lift old paint, but 2 pack etch is the best to place directly over aluminium. It will adhere like nothing on earth. Avoid 1 pack.

Diana

In the situation you describe with close proximity to neighbours , you can buy a hand applied zinc phosphate etch primer , I use HMG Coatings who will ship within mainland , all colours available out of interest, but when I have ordered a green in the past it is harder to see where you are painting , especially in awkward areas. You should them be fine to apply any of the stock enamel finishes offered for sale from either C&C military or Marcus Glenn , which are also brush or roller applied , being enamel based the paint smell is fairly low, so should help your situation.

You won't need to remove all the paint to use the primer , just make sure everything that is loose is removed , the longer you spend though sanding/smoothing the old paint edge , the better the job will look.