Land rover Paint

Surveyor

Question

17 answers to this question

Well, it depends on its provenance. If the vehicle is British military and earlier than about 1975, then yes, it will have left the factory in deep bronze green, DBG, (the standard Land Rover green at that time). At some point in the mid 70's British military vehicles were specified to be delivered in infra-red reflecting (IRR) paint. This was a lighter, more olive, slightly brown semi-matt green. Bedfords, later DAFs, and other vehicles arrived from the factory in the same colour from around the same time. When existing DBG vehicles were due for a re-paint within units they were then painted in IRR green paint, but this was not exactly the same shade as the factory colour - it was less brown and, generally, more matt. This is what is often referred to as NATO green, though this is a misnomer as it implies that it was a standard colour applied to all NATO vehicles - it wasn't, it was called NATO green simply because the NATO stock code was prominent on the outside of the tin.

So, if yours is pre-mid70's, then it is highly likely that it is DBG inside and has a number of coats of NATO green on the outside applied with anything from a professional spray gun to a bog brush! Of course, there was an IRR black as well which would have been applied in proportions approximately 1/3 black stripes over 2/3 green as camouflage, though, frankly, it was pretty much a waste of effort as the moment military vehicles leave barracks they become a uniform dust/mud colour anyway.

10 68

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, the Land rover is 1986 British Army I have the MERLIN Report, and has small bubbles of rust which I want to prevent spreading, it was only then I noticed the 2 different paints

Edited by Surveyor
Additional information

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, the Land rover is 1986 British Army I have the MERLIN Report, and has small bubbles of rust which I want to prevent spreading, it was only then I noticed the 2 different paints

Hmm! Then I'm not sure. If it was built that late, then I would have expected it to be in IRR paint. But, some CL Land Rover soft tops and station wagons were purchased by the military to civilian spec and these would have been supplied in DBG. Does the Merlin report offer any clues?

10 68

It could simply be that the inside does not generally suffer the same amount of weathering as the outside.

Same as taking down pictures that have been on a wall for years, the area behind the pictures will not have faded as much as the areas exposed to sunlight.

Hmm! Then I'm not sure. If it was built that late, then I would have expected it to be in IRR paint. But, some CL Land Rover soft tops and station wagons were purchased by the military to civilian spec and these would have been supplied in DBG. Does the Merlin report offer any clues?

10 68

Thanks but the MERLIN report does not give me any clue

I think only a 'green-fleet' vehicle would be on Merlin. If it were 'white-fleet' , then new 1986 IIRC it would be LEX (and at the time that would be Halifax Bldg. Soc. now HBOS)

Solihull 1986 - then that would be the old paint plant - so more or less a stoved enamel. ISTR the new contract 'aqua' paint plant started up about 1993. I have never been convinced that the colour NATO Green as ex-Solihull had the IRR component(s) content.

A few photographs may resolve , also check the under-bonnet VIN plate , there should be a paint code.

Looking at the pictures it is difficult to say. Judging by the over-spray on the cable and the black clip in the under-bonnet shot, it would appear that there was some re-spraying at some time. But, looking at the exterior, the paint covers the chequer-plate and that suggests an external repaint (when it was uprated to Tithonus spec?) There doesn't seem to be over-spray on the lamp holders so it would appear to be quite a good job. In which case, it may be a simple matter of it being the same paint but from different batches. Certainly there seems to be a suggestion that the exterior is suffering form weathering. Weathering is a very common feature of the IRR paint, particularly that applied once the vehicle was in service. Long periods sitting out in the sun can alter an olive green paint to look almost sand. Try a bit of T Cut and see what result you get. The military VIN plate won't have colour details on it.

Good luck with your further investigations

10 68

IMHO The exterior re-finish will be CARC British MOD have used this stuff for quite a few years (IIRC spray with brathing air only). It stands up better to sunlight fade , the interior is probably the original alkyd IRR.

Many thanks for all the help, I sprayed a candle stick wit the paint from Marcus Glenn and it seems similar to the external, I intend to get the external sprayed within the next 2 months by the professional spray shop down the road, I'm looking after the internal bits, now I know the situation may get them to do the cab as well.

Weathering is a very common feature of the IRR paint, particularly that applied once the vehicle was in service. Long periods sitting out in the sun can alter an olive green paint to look almost sand.

10 68

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Light-4x4-Utility-Ex-Military-1986-110-in-Green-/272326393457?hash=item3f67eafe71:g:MR0AAOSwtnpXnjRC

Here's a good example of how a Land Rover painted in IRR green can weather to an almost sand colour. And it doesn't take long if the vehicle is left outside. When I was serving it was always a problem with heavy equipment which wasn't used very often and which wasn't kept undercover. IRR paint simply wasn't strong enough for engineer plant. I remember particularly some Coles MkV cranes we used to have - they soon looked tatty and always provoked unsympathetic comment from CO's inspections! We tried to get permission to repaint them gloss DBG so that they would have a harder-wearing coat of paint and look better for longer, but failed.

10 68