ear muffs v clansman ANR, re. ferret

jim fl4

Hi, I'm new to the joys of a roadworthy ferret and wondered what others do about the issue of the NOISE inside the thing when its on full song?

I've just used ear defenders, fairly small ones so far and they don't really get on up of the noise. I have a full clansman ANR system which I haven't rigged up yet. Would this trump ear defender's or is its only advantage the intercom one?

Cheers

jim

Jim,

Welcome to the joys of Ferreting. I use an old pair of army ear defenders when driving solo, but pop off the plastic covers and put in an extra layer of foam cut from anything and this works a treat. If using intercom head sets with a commander, then the bigger the better rather than old style thin ones and make sure they are seated well on the ears.

Also, get yourself a wing mirror on a handle to poke out of the side hatch so you can see when pulling out of junctions.

Cheers

Dave

Jim,

Welcome to the joys of Ferreting. I use an old pair of army ear defenders when driving solo, but pop off the plastic covers and put in an extra layer of foam cut from anything and this works a treat. If using intercom head sets with a commander, then the bigger the better rather than old style thin ones and make sure they are seated well on the ears.

Also, get yourself a wing mirror on a handle to poke out of the side hatch so you can see when pulling out of junctions.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, Thanks, that good advice, I have a pair of AVF helmets with headsets, really big ones so will have to try them out sometime. The mirror tip sounds a good idea, which I will follow up on.

thanks again

Jim

The clansman ANR stuff is pretty good. I use it in my Saracen. I don't have an intercom installed in the Ferret yet, but I use one of the ANR headsets as ear defenders and they work ok.

For solo on-road use, I've found a couple of 2" stick-on dome mirrors from the local auto parts store, stuck on the corners of the side mirrors are invaluable.

Cheers,

Terry

In my experience a proper ANR setup should be better than pure ear defenders - have you tried yours yet?

Andy

Hi Andy, Thanks for your reply. No, not yet unsure how to set them up, how do they work?, I've put the helmet on and they seem pretty good just as ear defenders, (before their plugged in).

I notice that on the side of the muffs their is a slider, which goes from 'open' to 'closed'. I wonder which is which, suppose I need to have a play!

Thanks again, jim.

The clansman ANR stuff is pretty good. I use it in my Saracen. I don't have an intercom installed in the Ferret yet, but I use one of the ANR headsets as ear defenders and they work ok.

For solo on-road use, I've found a couple of 2" stick-on dome mirrors from the local auto parts store, stuck on the corners of the side mirrors are invaluable.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry, thanks for your reply. Interesting that you just use the ANR stand alone as ear defenders. I'm going to get a couple of the dome mirrors, thanks, Jim.

Hi Andy, Thanks for your reply. No, not yet unsure how to set them up, how do they work?, I've put the helmet on and they seem pretty good just as ear defenders, (before their plugged in).

I notice that on the side of the muffs their is a slider, which goes from 'open' to 'closed'. I wonder which is which, suppose I need to have a play!

Thanks again, jim.

If the headsets have a slider from open to closed on them I doubt they are ANR ones. Post a few photos to help ID them.

Chris

Driving my fsc I use non anr intercom headsets plus foam ear plugs can still hear vehicle commander at junctions , saying Clear or Stop , and helps but not stops the mechanical noise from drivetrain from causing i hope too much hearing damage.

Thanks men to all helpers :). Been v busy today and only now got onto computer!! I shall get some pics tomorrow evening and post them. Just one thing, the lead from the headset has a 7 pin plug which goes into a socket containing the press the speak thing, then another 5 foot or so length of lead terminating in another 7 pin plug which goes correctly into a socket of the gold coloured ANR comm box.

Anyone in the north/west yorkshire area into these things???

Cheers, Jim.