WW1 Vehicle Information

BosunAl

While looking for information re tire size and wheelbase of WW1 vehicles (hint hint; how about sending me those for your vehicles!!) I came across a couple of series that some of you might find of interest. The first is in Automobile Engineering, Vol 8, entitled Military Transport Chassis. Included are reports on the Commer 3-ton, the Dennis 3 ton, FWD 3 ton, Locomobile 3-4 ton, Maudslay A chassis, Peerless 3-ton, Pierce Arrow 3-ton, Saurer 5-ton, and Thornycroft J.

The second is a five or six article series re captured German trucks by LtCol Arthur J Slade, US Army and can be found in Automotive Industries, Vol 41. Included are subjects such as axles, frames, drives, et cetera.

Both have considerable information and can be downloaded via HathiTrust.Org.

Bosun Al

While looking for information re tire size and wheelbase of WW1 vehicles (hint hint; how about sending me those for your vehicles!!) I came across a couple of series that some of you might find of interest. The first is in Automobile Engineering, Vol 8, entitled Military Transport Chassis. Included are reports on the Commer 3-ton, the Dennis 3 ton, FWD 3 ton, Locomobile 3-4 ton, Maudslay A chassis, Peerless 3-ton, Pierce Arrow 3-ton, Saurer 5-ton, and Thornycroft J.

The second is a five or six article series re captured German trucks by LtCol Arthur J Slade, US Army and can be found in Automotive Industries, Vol 41. Included are subjects such as axles, frames, drives, et cetera.

Both have considerable information and can be downloaded via HathiTrust.Org.

Bosun Al

Thank you for the suggestion BUT,I think we might need a bit of a closer link in HathiTrust.Org.

"109,958 items found for Automotive Industries,"

Are you able to give a closer link as I don't have time to go through 109958 different links.

Regards Rick,

Edited by lynx42 Rick Cove

Thank you for the suggestion BUT,I think we might need a bit of a closer link in HathiTrust.Org.

"109,958 items found for Automotive Industries,"

Are you able to give a closer link as I don't have time to go through 109958 different links.

Regards Rick,

Not necessary to go through all those files. Go to HathiTrust, add the search words "Military Transport Classic", "Arthur J Slade", or "German Mechanical Transport Vehicles" and go from there. A list of pubs appears; open the one you want and add a phrase (e.g., German Mechanical Transport) in the upper right hand quadrant where it says "find" (you might have to press this button a couple of times), and, eureka, a page appears giving the page numbers of articles with that name.

Yes . . . you might have to exercise a little patience to find what you want, but I found a lot of good stuff there.

Good hunting . . .

Bosun Al

Bosun Al

The way to direct us to a web page is to get that page up on your screen and then copy (control & C keys) the URL which appears on the google bar, then paste (control & V keys) the URL into the thread here. All we have to do then is click on the URL and it takes us straight to the page you were looking at, no hunting required.

And for others, Please DO NOT use the "reply with quote" button:) as this uses up download data uneccessarily (an issue for those who don't enjoy high speed broad band) - use the "reply" button below the thread screen.

Further thoughts on this for sources of information are :

'Commercial Motor Index 1913 -1924', pub. Autopress, Brighton 1964. ( very useful and comprehensive on all makes and models giving all specifications etc. probably available from ABE Books )

'The Motor, Marine and Aircraft Red Book' , contemporary to WW1, published annually.

This will be considerably more expensive if you can find copies.

Richard Peskett.

Richard . . . The best book I've found is Automobiles of the World, by W.E. de B. Whittaker and Captain P.A. Barron, published in London by The Aeroplane and General Publishing Co., Ltd, 1921. Not all WW1 vehicles are there, but a goodly number from many countries are. Like all pubs, it can be confusing trying to differentiate between models given the limited amount of data given elsewhere.

Al

Richard . . . The best book I've found is Automobiles of the World, by W.E. de B. Whittaker and Captain P.A. Barron, published in London by The Aeroplane and General Publishing Co., Ltd, 1921. Not all WW1 vehicles are there, but a goodly number from many countries are. Like all pubs, it can be confusing trying to differentiate between models given the limited amount of data given elsewhere.

Al

Not sure if any of this helps but ;

If you're not aware, commercialmotor . com has an archive section, link is top right of their home page, the archive has copies of articles going back to 1905 .

Other resources are archive . org which is good for books, movies and pretty much everything , as an example of whats on there if of interest is ' The Motor Truck ' published 1912 , look through the site and you'll probably find lots more .

Edited by rdx10

• 3 years later...