BBMF Lanc

Chris Hall

It was over Woodhall Spa for the '40s Festival last Sunday (first test flight after the engine woes someone said, but I don't know if this was actually the case) :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117271[/ATTACH]

thats probably true, I was in the 41 Sqn Centenary parade a week last Thursday and it was on the lazy runway for engine runs. So unless it flew Saturday then Sunday was its first outing. I read the AEMS and the report which made interesting reading. The photos just didn't really show the extent of the damage. They did well to keep it in the air and I don't think many people know how close we came to losing the aircraft. There were mistakes made all the way through from maintenance to aircrew procedures and many Norms ( A term we use for somthing that is normally done but is not laid down in a publication). But it's good to see her back and I think many many valuable lessons have been learnt.

Anyway, off on a tangent, anyone recognise this jeep?

image.jpg

Edited by Chris Hall

I believe it was due for Sunderland Air show this weekend but failed at Newcastle.

No other detail known.

It was there I presume on Friday night ( flying started at 6pm on Friday for a few hours ) as I saw it around 6:40ish Friday night over South Shields ( north of Sunderland and on the coast ) heading towards Newcastle .

Was at Coningsby this afternoon to see her come in. Sunderland airshow was pulled forward by 90 mins because of weather, Lanc developed fault in no2 engine, but crews managed a quick fix to get her home. So she flew straight back without doing any scheduled flypasts she was meant to, the fighters performed their displays, so all got home early.

The delay this year in getting her airbourne was due to problems with fuel lines and tank plumbing.

We were doing our second Sunday afternoon battle at Woodhall Spa when she flew over. We had already been 'Buzzed' by the fighters, then later one of the guys who works opposite Conninsby heard her coming in. We all stopped dead for 5 mind to watch her. Beautiful sight.