Non Starting CVRT

Sidewinder

Hello!

Finally got round to getting down to the Spartan after a few months break. It was refusing to start last time I went to it and unsurprisingly hasn't fixed itself in the meantime.

So, I've got a temporary gravity fed fuel system putting clean fresh fuel into the carb. I've tried a different carb rebuild with new seals, so I'm pretty confident it's not a fuel issue.

When it did last run it was very rough, hard to start and refusing to rev. Anything but the slightest movement on the throttle linkage would cause the engine to stall.

Engine is is a rebuilt unit from Withams, with fresh spark plugs, relatively new batteries.

I'll take a spare spark plug when I next to down to check the size of the spark but I'm pretty sure it's got to be an ignition issue. I'm getting just over 11v of power to the coil, resistance across the LT terminals is 3.4ohms.

Any suggestions of things to check? I'm thinking either coil or HT leads are probably to blame..?

Cheers.

I'm not familiar with the CVRT ignition system but if it has a conventional distributor with contact breaker points then the symptoms are consistent with the condensor being u/s.

Don't assume that all is well on the ignition front just because you get a spark at a plug in the open air; it takes a much greater voltage to jump the gap under compression.

If the spark at a HT lead is weak or absent, check if you get a spark at the master lead. If there's a spark there, you have either a faulty rotor arm or distributor cap.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by mtskull

The CVRT (J60) has electronic ignition (usually) which can be troublesome. Remove the speed limiter fuse cunningly fitted to an ignition coil blank cable outlet then see if it starts.

There is a complete ignition system on ebay at the moment.

Diana

Hello!

Finally got round to getting down to the Spartan after a few months break. It was refusing to start last time I went to it and unsurprisingly hasn't fixed itself in the meantime.

So, I've got a temporary gravity fed fuel system putting clean fresh fuel into the carb. I've tried a different carb rebuild with new seals, so I'm pretty confident it's not a fuel issue.

When it did last run it was very rough, hard to start and refusing to rev. Anything but the slightest movement on the throttle linkage would cause the engine to stall.

Engine is is a rebuilt unit from Withams, with fresh spark plugs, relatively new batteries.

I'll take a spare spark plug when I next to down to check the size of the spark but I'm pretty sure it's got to be an ignition issue. I'm getting just over 11v of power to the coil, resistance across the LT terminals is 3.4ohms.

Any suggestions of things to check? I'm thinking either coil or HT leads are probably to blame..?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all the above but also check the connections in the ignition junction box where the ballast resistor lives. I had one which had worked loose and was only making intermittent contact. Now that was a pig to find!

Cheers everyone!

Ive had a bit of a closer look and the main HT lead going into the coil looks a bit dodgy.. I've bought the complete ignition system that was on eBay, so will have play when it all turns up.

Cheers, James.

I've found cracked porcelain(?) connectors on the spark plug ends of HT leads before now, causing all sorts of odd faults. I may have a stab at renewing the HT cables on a spare loom at some time soon, as being steel strand cores they rust. Not easy to replace HT cables on a CVRT as in my experience when you remove them from the distributor cap, at least one of the pins in the cap will snap off.

Just a quick update, my second hand ignition system arrived this week so I spent an hour today swapping the coils over and remade the connections on the main HT lead from the coil to the distributor which looked a bit dodgy and she started first flick of the starter.

Thanks for all the advice! Now to make a start on the countless other jobs..

James