WW2 Silver AFV paint similar to what modern paint

Danny152

Hello Danny,

I asked the same question a while back with the thread title of

"Aluminium (silver) paint".

I tried one or two different paints and settled for Hammerite Smooth Silver in spray cans which gave a decent finish in the Dingo engine bay.

Since I saw you last I've kept an eye out for DAC stuff and I have got a virtually NOS Simms AFV Spotlight if you are looking for one - let me know.

Cheers,

David.

You can buy a flat Aluminium paint in most DIY Shops. It has very little body to it which is why some use Hammerite to stop rust coming through.

The only problem with Hammerite is if it reacts with anything or if you want to get it off.

I found a tin of the correct fire resistant paint but the paint does rub off on your hands/clothes.

Remember also depending on when your vehicle was manufactured during WW2 it could have been white inside.

I found a tin of the correct fire resistant paint but the paint does rub off on your hands/clothes.

That's so you can tell it's the correct stuff! It's more aluminium particles in suspension than a normal paint, and starts off very shiny until the surface layer oxidises.

IMG_6020aw.jpg

Andy

It does that :) As I understand it, it's actually made so that it doesn't fully set, so it won't flake into paint shard projectiles if the vehicle is hit with something nasty.

Remember also depending on when your vehicle was manufactured during WW2 it could have been white inside.

I think that's US-made vehicles and some post-war rebuilds.

Sold on Hammerite Smooth 😊

I'm using that in areas where it can't really be seen, like the engine bay. It gives a good approximation to how the proper aluminium paint looks after it's oxidised a bit.

IMG_6268aw.jpg

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny, I've tried Hammerite and it doesn't look right. I am not sure if it contains aluminium particles and whether it would be fire-resistant. It also looks a bit grey and shiny.If you look around the likes of B&Q you can sometimes find paints with a high aluminium particulate content which should dry ok. I suspect that the stuff one of the responders used, which rubbed off, might have been old paint. You should be able to turn a blow torch on the paint when dry and it should not burn or char.Keep up the good work.

Doug

Hiya all,

Is there a modern paint such as a 'Hammerite' similar to the WW2 AFV silver paint? Any advice I would be grateful.

Thanks

Danny