War and Peace Revival 2016, Is anybody going?

julezee001

I noticed last night that the question was asked on 1/6/15 last year and received 60+ replies. Is Milweb less popular, and everyone elsewhere, or is it that many find the War and Peace Revival so much less attractive under new management?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will be there as usual, CVRTs heading down next week. I am expecting it to be quieter as most people I speak to say they aren't going, but it's a week away from work playing with the toys and I'm looking forward to it.

I noticed last night that the question was asked on 1/6/15 last year and received 60+ replies. Is Milweb less popular, and everyone elsewhere, or is it that many find the War and Peace Revival so much less attractive under new management?

Hi Jules , Me and Dave are not entering any vehicles this year :-( several reasons really , cost is a factor and time to prepare the vehicles for the longer drive there ! I really do miss the Hopfarm and would have gone there like a shot this year the journey is so much easier and the site more pleasant in my opinion :-) I have taken leave from work to coincide with War and Peace as usual so shall use the time and money saved to plod on with Daisy:nut: sadly this means I have no leave left to attend the new show at the Hopfarm in August :embarrassed: The W and P new owners arrangements may have had a slight bearing on our decisions also ! May pop to each show as a spectator for the day to get my fix of sights, sounds and smells for the year !:-D Hope everyone who goes enjoys themselves !

I'll be there along with my mates from all over! We treat it a a good get together with military vehicles thrown in! So its going to cost £10 more perhaps if people looked after the facilities they wouldn't need to be charged for! The new owner isn't going to take a hit on the show just to put it on. I thought the hop farm was a better venue but things change. The rumours I'm hearing about the hop farm show have persuaded me off going there and I will go to tanks and trucks instead.

Looking forward to getting to War & Peace, do like the racecourse venue too. Beltring was getting tired, been going there since the start.

Will be great to catch up with old acquaintances again and to see the new features this year. Best of luck to the new organisers, hope they have the 'weather gods' on their side ;).

regards, Richard

Were planning to go but to date we have heard nothing about transport to pick up our items which is disappointing with only a few weeks left if no transport pick up then no display. I liked the old beltring but the new one has its good points as well the down side it is a longer trip but hopefully operation stack will not be enforce this year.

Al

I'm not going this time as were going on a cruise instead but my Morris C8 will be there with 4 of my mates.

Will properly go back to the Hop Farm next year if there are good reports as I prefer the venue.

I'm not going this time as were going on a cruise instead but my Morris C8 will be there with 4 of my mates.

Will properly go back to the Hop Farm next year if there are good reports as I prefer the venue.

saw your C8 departing Kidlington yesterday morning Ian................

Jules

saw your C8 departing Kidlington yesterday morning Ian................

Jules

Yep your probably see it quite a lot at the moment Jules as a mate took it to his garage in Kidlington to give it a service & look over.

One of them is using it to go to work just for fun (until he realises how much fuel it drinks)

We as a family won't go. how the new management deals with things something we have a hard time with. The Hollowell steam and heavy horses show is the one we went too last weekend, sitting in the military corner and doing some arena appearances.

The last two racecourse shows were hard on my back and the humps of the fields makes it a struggle in a wheelchair.

also the garbage burning is something i do not agree with, the bins for plastics, recycle stuff went in the same bulk bag and i did investigate where it got dumped and how that pit had been used for burning.

I'll go from sunday to sunday. I have some worries about how the new management will run the show but the only way I'd know for sure is to go see and give them a chance. I'll spend most of my time at the stalls anyway.:D

We are going Staurday to saturday as i agree with the comments above as the only way to see how the show is under the new manangement is to see it for yourselfs,that way you can make your mind up if it`s better or worse or the same and then decide what to do next year etc.

Simon

Yup give it a go.

Will have the usual range of test gear for ignition systems if anyone wants anything testing, especially reveally are insulation tests on coils, as this drops to about a tenth once hot so a high cold insulation is essential.

Yup give it a go.

Will have the usual range of test gear for ignition systems if anyone wants anything testing, especially reveally are insulation tests on coils, as this drops to about a tenth once hot so a high cold insulation is essential.

Hi Clive,

You forward to catching up with you.

regards, Richard

we were there!!

we had an agreement in writing with the organisers that we would be the only general stores on site! we wanted to keep it traditional with over the counter service full costume and war time layout.....

we organised over £4000 of news papers for the site and it was my mission to rid the site of the 25p charge on top of every paper as was last year in the modern corner shop affair!!

we spent £1000's on our set up to look the part and be as authentic as possible, when we arrived to set up two shops making access easier across site we found the modern convenience store unloading an 11 tonne lorry into the store!!

we took the agreement in writing to the organisers and they said if you dont like it dont trade, they also increased the agreed pitch fee by £600!! they had in front of them the contractual agreement, i pointed out they where breaking the law and they repeated well you don't have to trade!!

i said with this third store in the main arena i would not even break even and they said that was my problem!!!!!

so no we will not be there! in fact we have had to cut our losses and leave haven been spoken to like dirt and once again let down by the show.

such a shame was so looking forward to the whole event had really gone to town with authenticity

In that case: a real shame.

We will not be there (first time in 8 years). Based on what was told, I couldn't take the risk....

...can't afford spending holiday time and money to go to an event without being sure that I will have fun or a good time and feeling.

Also last year we had a bad experience on a Belgian show where the weekend was spoiled by silly rules and organisers who forget they rely on all the participants (also traders) to have a show. The hobby must still be fun....

We will see and read after the show how all things went and decide then if we'll be there next year.

we were there!!

we had an agreement in writing with the organisers that we would be the only general stores on site! we wanted to keep it traditional with over the counter service full costume and war time layout.....

we organised over £4000 of news papers for the site and it was my mission to rid the site of the 25p charge on top of every paper as was last year in the modern corner shop affair!!

we spent £1000's on our set up to look the part and be as authentic as possible, when we arrived to set up two shops making access easier across site we found the modern convenience store unloading an 11 tonne lorry into the store!!

we took the agreement in writing to the organisers and they said if you dont like it dont trade, they also increased the agreed pitch fee by £600!! they had in front of them the contractual agreement, i pointed out they where breaking the law and they repeated well you don't have to trade!!

i said with this third store in the main arena i would not even break even and they said that was my problem!!!!!

so no we will not be there! in fact we have had to cut our losses and leave haven been spoken to like dirt and once again let down by the show.

such a shame was so looking forward to the whole event had really gone to town with authenticity

Having posted this thread, I have tried to keep an open view on the new "owner" of the show. However having read your post, I feel bound to add my own thoughts. I met a friend today who runs a Bushcraft and knife business. He has had dealings in the past with the same character. He paid for a 9m pitch at a shooting show, hired a van to carry the extra kit over and above his normal Landrover and trailer. When he arrived at the show the pitch it was 6m. When he complained he was told like it or lump it. He tried to apply for a refund, but after more than 3 months finally was re-funded for 3m.

Personally if you are going to take over a show, and call a large number of your exhibiters who bring their vehicles to the show year after year for nothing, "spongers", I have very little faith it is being run for the right reasons. The comments were made a good while ago, and as far as I am aware they have not in any way been retracted or moderated. I am also sad that IMPS, who after all should still have some say in the show have made no representations on the subject to the best of my knowledge. I am not entirely surprised by that as previously I have complained to senior members of IMPS having found a CET travelling at speed the wrong way around the one way circuit at the show with no one walking in front, scattering all and sundry. Again, as far as I am aware no action was taken.

It's sad, as it's one of the few occasions in the year that I get all my kit together, and drag myself and it to the show (3 large trucks, Landrover, tentage etc), that I neither feel welcome, nor inclined to attend. I hope the situation will turn around in the future, as I will miss catching up with so many great friends and like minded folk?

Jules