Hello to the group!!

Myself and a few friends are planning to take our jeeps to Normandy next Spring. I am sure there is quite a bit that we need to know to make sure that it all goes according to plan, so please feel free to chip in with any advice that you might feel is appropriate. I have a couple of specific questions,

1. We want to find suitable accomodation (not camping) within striking distance of somewhere where we can easily get food and drink in the evening. From my own experience of Normandy/Caen I know that some hotels have limited and insecure parking facilities. Can anybody suggest a hotel or otherwise that might fit the bill where the vehicles will be safe unattended?

2. I am not sure how you stand with driving the vehicles (respectfully that is) onto the Landing beaches. I know people do it but we would hate to offend anybody by doing something wrong. I have visted all the beaches before and Gold Beach does seem to have a slipway that might be easy to access. Once again any advice would be appereciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions!

Andy

The Calvados region have a very good tourist board. They can give you a l;ot of advice. Don't stick to the coast, you will miss such palces as Caen and Falaise or Tilly Sur Selles, Jerusalem Farm= Best Calvados in the World, but can only be bought at the farm.

IF you do drive onto the beaches, but the locals are NOT KEEN, only put up with it on major years (5th) make sure you find a pressure washer pretty soon and give your vehicle a REALLY good wash. Remember 73 years ago goverments paid the repair bills......

If the locals don't seem very happy, offer to give the kids a lift, works every time! :cool2: I had to wash Somme mud of my WC51 after the 90th annversary. Broke my heart. So Normandy, I now have two jars of sand one in each vehicle. A third was scattered on Carol's grave. Katy is supposed to have landed on D +9 and we were always going to take her back together.

Edited by Tony B