Observation turret legality

Hi all .

Can any one tell me how we stand legally using an observation turret on public highway . I'm specifically referring to the one on my 1943 pioneer but there all the same what ever vehicle it is.

Are you allowed to stand out of an observation turret while moving on a public highway.??

thanks

Neil

Umm - interesting question.

Logic would say you should be seated wearing a seat belt but then again armoured commanders stand as do bus passengers.

I guess it would depend on what you were doing at the time.

If the Police felt the need to give you a tug I'd suggest you were doing something they didn't approve of.

Likewise, just driving down a road with your upper body out of the hatch shouldn't give them a cause for concern.

I would advise against sitting on the roof with your legs dangling though.

Markheliops

Although I cannot immediately trace the source legislation, I am fairly sure that the law now requires all persons carried/riding in a vehicle to be seated in proper seats designed for the purpose, irrespective of whether seat belts are required or not. It is, for example, no longer legal for people to ride in the rear of a 'bare' Land-Rover sitting directly on the rear wheel-boxes. This is irrespective of the age of the vehicle.

I imagine that travelling in a place in which the RTAs apply (i.e., a place to which the public has access) standing with your upper body out of the hatch is therefore technically illegal, however I would think that, unless you were being demonstrably stupid or dangerous, you are unlikely to be stopped. If you are seen with a child - someone for whom you as an adult have a duty of care - doing this, I imagine that you very probably will be stopped, however.

Using a fixed turret ferret as a example the police as if you ever see any traffic cops, would have no idea if the commander is standing on the floor of the vehicle or sitting on elevated commanders seat ,however if you have more than a third of your torso outside the hull/turret you deserve a bolloking from whoever feels like doing so! Still get at certain shows people sitting on top of vehicles whilst going round the areana really needs Marshalls to to tell em ,the error of there ways.