MWR and QLR generators

Sean N

Question

I have here a generator and control box that came direct from an MoD vehicle repairer as a pair. The control box is a CAV type 141 and looks like the type fitted to 15 cwt wireless trucks e.g. MWR. The generator is a CAV DW7X8X, which I know were fitted to QLR. On the face of it, then this is a pair for MWR or QLR.

What's throwing me is that I thought the MWR generator was D5LA-26X, and the control box says 'for D5LA-26X' on it; and I thought the QLR generator was belt driven, while this one is shaft driven. I don't, unfortunately, have any books that cover QLR or MWR.

Can anyone shed any light?

8 answers to this question

Gents, thanks for that - I was leaning towards QLR it confirms what I originally thought. I'd also seen a photo of a QLR generator with a pulley for belt drive on, which is partly what threw me.

If these are a pair as I was told, I guess the 'for D5LA-26X' is a red herring and the 141 control box was also used for the DW7X8X? Or these are in fact from two different vehicles?

Need to double-check what I have here just to be sure.

Guy said in this thread:

The auxiliary generator on a Bedford QLR is DW7X8X ... they use the same 141 regulator.

However in another thread, someone asked about this control box on a QLR that Peter Hommes had for sale:

attachment.php?attachmentid=116892&d=1467818953&thumb=1

... It's clearly a 141, and given the discussion here I said it was the control box for the [DW7X8X] auxiliary generator. Guy replied:

Sorry, but the big box on the rear of the cabin is the vehicle dynamo regulator box for a wireless equipped QL. The chassis and the remaining bits are from a QLR , so on the chassis normally you had a radio box unit.

...which I took to be stating it was the regulator for the vehicle (i.e. engine mounted) dynamo NOT the auxiliary (chassis mounted DW7X8X) dynamo. This appears to contradict what was said in this topic, so I'm now confused.

Though I know nothing about QLR auxiliary charging, all the FFW / FFR vehicles I've come across with auxiliary dynamos have a conventional control box for the vehicle dynamo and a large auxiliary control box either in the cab or in the radio body. The box in Peter's photo is clearly a 141 and so wouldn't appear to be the control box for the vehicle dynamo.

I'd like to clarify so I know definitively what I have - is it definite that the 141 is the control box for the DW7X8X and that the pair formed the auxiliary charging set on QL®?

Thanks.

Sean,

According to the manual, the controller on back cab panel is a 142-1 and is the engine dynamo control board. (this appears at a glance to be a 141, as it is a similar casing)

It says the Auxiliary board, 141-3 is mounted 'in the front bulkhead between centre and nearside ventilator' so points to it being in the body.

cheers Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

Richard, thanks, that's interesting. Having had next to nothing to do with them I hadn't realised QL® had such a control box for the engine dynamo, so that's where my confusion arose.

Having the auxiliary control board inside the body on the front bulkhead is consistent with practice in other vehicles so sounds probable.

That confirms Guy's comments and that I have a QLR auxiliary charging set up. Thanks.

Guy, thanks again for your input on this.

Edited by Sean N