DE-act weapons now we are BRITISH

tankdiver

Now that we are not in the E U what is the the position on de-activated weapons in ENGLAND

Also what is the position on smoke launches do they require a certificate or are they not classed as a weapon

do replica gun have a problem?

Depends on which police force you are in but I have the copy of a letter which states they are not considered to be mortars and therefore do not require the mortar deac standards of slotting and a pin across the bore.

hmmm, happy to be corrected, but replica guns have been a legal issue ever since the Violent Crime Reduction (VCR) Act. Something which I believe was entirely a UK thing and nothing to do with the EU.

As I understand it if it is a geniuine replica gun, it is classed as a realistic imitation firearm. As such no one should provide you with a replica gun without you meeting the reasons outlined in the Act e.g you belong to a recognised re-enactment group and you participate regularly in re-enactments. The VCR act also applies to airsoft weapons and similar items. For airsoft weapons you are supposed to be a member of a recognised club and again participate regularly in events (at your home or other club). The only exceotion(as I understand it) is if the replica is painted bright orange or similar.

I have found it strange that I would have been able to buy a real, but properly deactivated weapon without any bother, but I would have had to have all sorts of reasons to own something that was never designed and most likely due to the materials it was made of, able to fire a bullet.

please feel free to correct or clarify any of the above.

regards,

julian

This has been thoroughly gone through in other threads.

On Realistic Imitation Firearms - best to read the Act. It's not difficult to understand and defines exactly what a RIF is, what offences may arise from making, buying, selling and/or converting one, the likely penalties and also defences.

There's a bit more to it than your analysis suggests.

And no, Brexit is highly unlikely to make any difference at all to the law on RIFs.

As has been said, we haven't left the EU yet, so nothing has changed. As the proposed EU changes to the Firearms Regulations haven't been put before the Commission yet we're (hopefully) unlikely to adopt them, but as to what will happen about the already adopted EU deactivation standards your guess is as good as mine.

Andy

Now that we are not in the E U what is the the position on de-activated weapons in ENGLAND

Also what is the position on smoke launches do they require a certificate or are they not classed as a weapon

This about DE-acts not the EU as one of the members thinks . perhaps I could have worded it better

This about DE-acts not the EU as one of the members thinks . perhaps I could have worded it better

Until the seperation is fully worked out the UK is still a full member of the EU, with all the rights and obligations. The negotiations will take 2 to 7 years, and till then the EU Guideline on de-acts will be law in the UK.

In other words, the position on de-acts in the UK will be that of the EU for the coming years. The talks about putting the UK old-spec de-acts on the EU exemption list that were going on will probably be history though.

A reminder of Jacks recent post on Politics..

The reason the posts were pulled is because we do not allow politics or religion on the forum - for the simply reason (as what happened here) everyone gets very hot headed and they allow their stress to over flow onto the forum - where it isn't welcomed.

So, as has been the case for the last 11 years, no religion or politics on HMVF. It makes for a far simpler life :)

Many thanks,

Jack.

Yes, but only if it is deactivated to the current EU spec.

Andy

At last - a sensible answer to a sensible question.

As usual, we have people who want to interpret the rules to suit their personal views/needs and people who are determined to just carry on regardless.

Neither of which will form a defence in law against prosecution...!

It is unlikely that there will be any significant change to the status quo inside 2 years, although legally the process could be completed quicker (it involves much negotiating with the EU, and that isn't a quick process). The two-year period people are talking about is the time after which the negotiating period must be extended by agreement or the UK automatically ceases to be a member of the EU. The two-year period starts when the UK officially notifies the EU that it is invoking Article 50, and there is no legal time constraint how long the notification can be delayed (under the EU treaties, we could delay notification for 2, 5 10 years or whatever). It is possible for the UK to begin preliminary negotiations with other member states before formally notifying the European Parliament of our intention to invoke Article 50. The process potentially could be drawn out for decades.

So don't count your chickens yet!

The next question of interest of course it what happens to all the UK domestic EU-derived law when we leave, and that again is something no-body really knows. Any EU directive which has been implemented by domestic law is almost certain to remain unchanged, EU law applicable by virtue of our membership will become non-applicable unless the exit agreement states otherwise.

One of the problems, of course, is that no country has done this before and to the EU it is unthinkable that any country would want to, so nobody really knows how to go about it.

If anyone in interested, there is a briefing paper to be found here....

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2016/577971/EPRS_BRI%282016%29577971_EN.pdf

... which is actually quite informative.

Thank you. So I take it that ALL the de-activated weapons now for sale by dealers and few private human beings have been de-activated to EU spec ?

I can't speak for private individuals, but a number of the dealers closed their businesses for a short time while their stock was de-activated to the current spec. Talk to someone like Ryton Arms if you want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Andy

Aparantley it is not statute law yet. It is an EU directive that had an efective date of April 8th. That's is how D&B and many others have interpreted it and so they still sell non EU compliant deacs. I won't be buying any more now regardless of what happens.

did anyone read the one liner that even if deactivated to current EU guidelines, and the guidelines then change in the future, you will have to redeactivate to the then new standard. So anyone who thinks an EU spec Deac is a safe investment, think again.

Yes, but only if it is deactivated to the current EU spec.

Andy

Well I recently bought this SMG from 'Spandaumilitariashop.com' for £197. + P&P. about 3 to 4 weeks ago. Was very happy when it dropped through my door to see that it could still be field stripped.IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In the Latest report from the HBSA, page 9 regarding Deactivated weapons, I won't type the whole thing but one part may be of interest,

Quote; At present there is much confusion since there is no information from Brussels and, in the UK, the penalties are in the Policing and Crime Bill which will probably not become law until Easter 2017, It should be assumed, however, that any deactivated firearm which is not done to the EU Regulation specification would now be regarded as a Section 5 item if " Placed on the Market" or taken across a border between Member States .

Slightly of the subject but, I'm led to believe that there are planned changes to be written in our law regarding "lever release" firearms such as the ones produced by Southern Gun..... don't know the whole story but just a snippet I was told yesterday, but something like "No bolt disrupting device" ........or words to that affect.

Anyone planning or looking at such weapons I would hold on to your hard earned cash till or all the proposed EU Weapons Directive has been Ironed out and the dust settles.......

The Police were at the W&P show looking at some deacs, they never batted an eye lid at the D&B stall so I think they have been briefed to not to get involved until things are clarified. Some dealers even put signs up for the Police to have a play.

i also heard than you will still need an import/export permit to move an EU spec gun through the EU and that if the EU spec changes again, you will need to pay to bring it up to standard or it reverts to the fars we have now of having 'defective deactivated guns' which are illegal to sell.