FV 436 idling issue

robin craig

Our 436 has developed a fault.

When you let off the throttle it doesnt idle all the way down and hence doesn't come out of drive and wants to still move.

I am thinking that the cable to the injection pump has corroded and needs removal and stripping down and lubrication.

There is also a thought that troublesome interferring hands may have engaged a hand throttle and I need to check that.

Any other suggestions before I dive in?

There is only the one hand throttle but it is not impossible that some piece of debris has got in the way of free movement of the linkage. There is also a linkage to the Allison gearbox which could have got interfered with. I expect that you know about checking the govenor oil level (through the little hatch to the left of the driver). This has no bearing on your present problem but is a critical item.

David

Sometimes it's just the simple things - is the throttle linkage sticking? There's a lot of it with assorted cross-shafts, when was the last time the bearings were greased? Or has the return spring broken or fallen off?

Andy

Sometimes it's just the simple things - is the throttle linkage sticking? There's a lot of it with assorted cross-shafts, when was the last time the bearings were greased? Or has the return spring broken or fallen off?

Andy

+1 on that.

My throttle has a habit of sticking and it can also be opened slightly when getting out of the drivers seat. The cross shaft is right near the back of your feet. (On an Abbot that is...)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I know you were all biting your nails waiting for an update on this one.

Last night we had time, as we are getting back to a more normal schedule, there have been holidays and crops and kids events.

While I slaved dead vehicles and shunted kit around Gerry (means "patient one" in the local Gananoque language) carefully went end to end and finally, as predicted found it was something simple.

The hand throttle on the left of the driver had wound it's way in a small way and then the wing nut had wound down and jammed.

Simple fix to a simple problem. Unit was sent by low loader to our other site and put away.

Great result