Bedford MK Axle Question

Rob2497

hi guys, i have an airport crash tender based on a heavy duty Bedford MK chassis modified by reynolds boughton.

i wanted to replace my tracta seals and clean my spheres but all the seals i can find have only six bolt holes in ? mine has about twelve bolts holding it on ? it looks like an mk axle and definately has mk brakes/wheels.

i wondered if any bedford experts may recognise the tracta housing as possibly off a heavier bedford, maybe TM ?

kind regards ....Rob20160621_183046.jpg

Assuming it's the Hypoid axle, which I can't tell from the photo, it's probably R type or very early MK. I think that means the part you want is 6350119.

If it is the R type axle, it might affect the detail of which brakes etc. you have as well.

hi Sean wondered about the type 'R' but it was only 3 ton ? this is definately bigger. the mk part number is for the 6350119 seal with only six bolt holes in it. i cant seem to find any other tracta seal of bedford origin :(

hi Robin, thats not something i've even considered to be honest.... lubricants have come on leaps and bounds in the last ten years but on the other hand i'm a bit funny when it comes to new ways of doing things, first thing i think is, if the boffins at Bedford designed it to swim in EP120, then i know it's working fine until the oil pours out ;)

food for thought tho

....Rob

I thought Eager Beavers had standard RL axles ?

David

They are both front axles with central differentials using two equal length short tubes and are narrower than the truck. At least that is how it looks to me. I've not been able to compare to an RL.

Iain

They are both front axles with central differentials using two equal length short tubes and are narrower than the truck. At least that is how it looks to me. I've not been able to compare to an RL.

Iain

Aha - I wondered how they narrowed the axle without using narrow axle-specific parts - reckon you've got it right Iain.

Rob, it's EP 90 in an RL / MK axle.

I think if this looks like an MK axle, it's likely either to be an early MK axle or an R type axle. Reynolds-Boughton and Bedford used other options, but the diff casings are significantly different in appearance. Do you have a photo of the whole axle so we can check?

The R type and early MK parts books give 6350119 as the tracta housing seal, with 24 mounting bolts per axle (so 12 per side). I can't speak to later MKs / MJs as I don't have the parts book here and it's a long time since I've done one but you may be right about them only having 6 bolt fixing.

I'm not sure the 3 ton rating is meaningful here. What's the chassis number, VIN or model designation from the logbook or chassis plate?

hi guys, i have an airport crash tender based on a heavy duty Bedford MK chassis modified by reynolds boughton.

i wanted to replace my tracta seals and clean my spheres but all the seals i can find have only six bolt holes in ? mine has about twelve bolts holding it on ? it looks like an mk axle and definately has mk brakes/wheels.

i wondered if any bedford experts may recognise the tracta housing as possibly off a heavier bedford, maybe TM ?

kind regards ....Rob

Hi Rob,

A lot of muddying of the waters here with talk of Eager Beavers, etc. The holes in the seal are not holes for the ring that has 12 screws securing it. The seal and the copper leaf springs that apply pressure to the lip are located on pins on the inside of the securing ring. This seal was designed for the 1940's Bedford QL and used right through the RL to the last MJ models, same part number. There is no need to dismantle the axle, the rings should be unbolted and seal removed carefully to preserve the leaf springs. Check where the top of the seal will be and with a sharp knife make a scarf cut so the seal can be fitted around the challis. With this joint at the top it will not leak if a clean cut and a spot of sealer on it. EP90 is OK for the axles and swivels.

regards, Richard

thank you everyone for the input. Richard you were spot on, i thought i'd investigate at the weekend and the six holes in the seal are indeed locating holes ! 6350119 seals ordered

thanks again !

Hi Rob,

No problem. It is a task I have done numerous times on QL, RL and MK/MJ !

regards, Richard

• 4 years later...