WD Matchless Chassis and Catalogue No's

bigduke6

It seems all my pics have gone !!!! can't say I'm too impressed with Photo Bucket, as I've used this for many years then this with no warning......reading on the web its happened to a few.

Luckily I saved most pics on my Mac, but will try and and save my files from Photobucket and move to another image hosting site.

when I recover the pics will repost them. Not much of an update as other things have stopped play, all the frame is ready now for a final coat of Service Brown. But will wait till all the tin ware is ready and do it in one hit.

Yes all my photobucket images disappeared a few weeks back and it's the only way you can post pictures on the WD M20 site. After hunting around on the photobucket site, I found a means to email them for help and complain. Their response was to tell me how to correct the situation in the kind of computer language that I don't understand.......But by the next day, all my pictures returned........I still hate photobucket though!! Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Yep some of us regular posters on the WD M20 site have had years worth of information pictures blocked by Photobucket. It's quite a disaster really! I'm not going to spend hours trying to reinstate 10 years worth of pictures, so that information is lost unless it's asked for again. I've tried an experimental picture with this site. https://imgbb.com/

Ron

Yep some of us regular posters on the WD M20 site have had years worth of information pictures blocked by Photobucket. It's quite a disaster really! I'm not going to spend hours trying to reinstate 10 years worth of pictures, so that information is lost unless it's asked for again. I've tried an experimental picture with this site. https://imgbb.com/

Ron

I looked at imgbb, when looking around, imjur was mentioned a few times so tried one pic like yourself, seemed ok and no adverts.

Its a disgrace what they did, When you think of others like yourself Ron, who have gone to great lengths to supply info and images to benefit others..... and the time and it takes uploading, downloading etc etc then pulled beneath you in seconds.......

I'm only on this forum and Milsurps, one account with PB I still have and will try remove the albums to imjur or similar. Milsurps have image capture software, so if anyone does pull a stunt like Photo Bucket, the image remains regardless. until you edit your post and remove images.

• 4 weeks later...

Struck lucky on ebay regarding a petrol tank or petrol tanks...... one for £13.50 and another for £35.00 both look good and are the pie crust and bayonet fit cap.

a lot better than the one I started with, will clean up and see what is what. Slow progress on everything else, something out of the blue come along and has eaten a lot of my time but hope to get some bits done this weekend and try and replace some of the photo bucket pics in the thread.

Imjur is working quite well.........

• 2 months later...

Can any one tell me the thread size for the oil flow and return unions on the crankcase ? I just haven't got anything to hand at the present and don't have the case with me but am making some unions to suit the thread that have a hose connections .....

• 9 months later...

Been a while since I touched the Matchless, but just about to assemble the crank case and was looking at the drive side bearings spacing washer,  I only have one which is the small one, I remember when I stripped the engine it only had the one but it did have two homemade shims at the end of the drive shaft which sat between the outer bearing and inner of the crank case. 

Although I'm using different Crank cases and also the timing side bearing has been replaced by the two step bush, just wonder what size is the bigger washer ? anyone have any idea ?, part number is 168-66 the one I have is 16889-A (going by an exploded drawing of the bottom end)

In a box of spares I have a big washer which I assume is from the later engine 55 onwards that I can turn down the diameter and then grind it to the correct thickness. Thanks In advance.

Cheers Ron,   Going by the single one fitted in 55 + engines I can work out the size, I looked on the Russell Motors page and there not listed (not to say Les doesn't have them).

Having a read the only purpose they serve is to locate the timing side in the correct position for the oil pump. 

Just wonder the purpose of the two when later on they went to one ??

I guess the two were replaced by just one when in service , also made a mistake of where the homemade (probably the Army again) shims where, looking at an old photo they sat between the old timing side bearing race and the C/C.

Am in need of a few little bits and peaces so will contact Les at Russell Motors and Amc on monday. 

Edited by bigduke6

Washers ordered today from AMC, also some bits for the forks.  

Regarding your G3 bottom end Ron, I'd read somewhere (After I bought my new bottom end) that they can be re ground or skimmed and use harley rollers as they can be bought over size. 

For anyone reading the thread, I'm going to clean it it up at some point, as it drags because lot of pics missing due to photo bucket pulling a fast one. I'll have time on my hands when I'm sat at the bar next week in Corfu so the pics may not be just of the Matchless....

I know a guy up Chester way who performs that on M20 big ends. The HD rollers are longer, so you only get one row instead of two. But you have to be very precise and accurate at machining/grinding the pin and honing the eye.

There was a problem with Matchless crank pins breaking after the originals were replaced!

The original pin was a two part affair, ie the smaller diam part was pressed into the bigger part (the bit the rollers run on) and these were fine until they wore out.

Then someone had the idea to machine the whole thing from one piece of steel. The first ones were machined with a direct 90 degree corner were the two diameters met, which gave a fracture point and they were prone to brake and probably ruin your engine?

When this problem was realized, the corner was machined with a radius, which then necessitated filing/grinding/machining a corresponding radius in your flywheels.  

Well over a year ago now,  I bought a new big end from Les for my mates G3L which was the original type 2 part pin. Thank goodness they're making them the correct way again. Ron 

• 3 years later...