Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: WD Matchless Chassis and Catalogue No's

Default Re: WD Matchless Chassis and Catalogue No's

Quote Originally Posted by matchlesswdg3 View Post
    I used Alpha a couple of years ago and they were OK. Seems some folk have been happy and others, like Ron, clearly not. Pity.......and frustrating for you!

Least of My problems at present Ferg, after cleaning up the outer of the drive side crank case were the bearings sit behind, there was a load of old araldite..... my worst fears were confirmed that the end of the cover had split at some point and hence the araldite etc, I never thought much of it as I was under the impression it was there to make a good seal between this and the inner chain cover, only realised when I was doing a final clean to replace the bearings.

I've got some spares, but have seen a few repairs/mods made to this part were some have made a new separate end cover
    (obvious a weak point if someone has been hammering bearings in) just wonder if anyone has done or known of such repairs ?

2. Advertisement

Always best to get the cases really hot in the oven first (When Janet is out!) The bearings will almost fall in/out then. This G3 case of mine needed some (TIG) welding as you can see, and the threads remade. So it should be possible to repair your case, especially if it's not completely punched out.

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G3 110.jpg  

Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    2 Pounder anti tank gun 1941
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

Ron, Think I'll get away with one of the HST 2000 repair rods for Aluminium, I was looking on youtube last night when some one built up a threaded hole with the bolt in then removed the bolt etc, My case has suffered the same fate as your G3 one regarding the top threaded hole but only a small bit broken away.

Has anyone here used these rods (see link ) plenty on youtube about them.

http://www.aluminiumrepair.co.uk

After soaking the bearing etc and blowing through with air I must of dislodged some grease or wax from the protective coating and getting some oil through, the inner race is grooved so whatever position the oil holes are they will get oil.....

Anyway here is the email I got back which was a quick response,

Thank you for your email.

However there is no need for the oil holes of the inner substrate to align with the oil holes of the outer raceway of the crankpin. This is because the outer raceway has a pair of internal annulus grooves to ensure that the oil feed is maintained to all four holes on the raceway irrespective of the angular or polar position.

I trust that this answers your question and that you can continue to assemble your engine with full confidence.

Best Regards

Emma Houghton
    Alpha Bearings
    Kingsley Street
    Netherton
    Dudley
    West Midlands
    DY2 0PZ

Mind at rest then! When I tried to deal with Alpha some years ago, there was talk of trouble with the company and receivership etc. It sounds like they are back on track. Ron
    Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

That seems to be the case Ron, I read something on the internet when someone took over the company he shook it up as it had become quite lax..... I replied to the email and thanked them and received a reply well outside the normal work hours last night.

Back to the crank case..........needs some work, the end had completely broken away, reminds me of my old Honda XL 125, when a shaft sheared and split the Crank Case, the joys of motorcycling... lucky at the time I was on top of a big hill only a few minutes from home, so free wheeled back, (I lived in Cumbria then, hence the hill)

There isn't much left and like fag paper in parts looks like the inner chain case has worn a lot away.

Things are on the up though, won a bid on two sets of crank cases, a few cam shafts, three cylinder heads and several other bits, expected it to go a lot higher than it did, one case set is an early one from contract C9506.

Engine numbers start from 41-G3L- 23800- 25049 for that contract, the case set is 41-G3L-23801 so would belong to frame 19401 and census number 4588176 (I think).

Good find! You're spoilt for choice now. My own G3L is one from that same contract C9506 #20399 but with a later 1942 engine and several other later parts. The rear frame is one of those that was only fitted to that contract and was revised for the rest built during the war. I think I'm right in saying that mine would originally have had a ribbed front guard and no pannier frames. Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G3L 135.jpg  

Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Good find! You're spoilt for choice now. My own G3L is one from that same contract C9506 #20399 but with a later 1942 engine and several other later parts. The rear frame is one of those that was only fitted to that contract and was revised for the rest built during the war. I think I'm right in saying that mine would originally have had a ribbed front guard and no pannier frames. Ron

What was different on the rear frame Ron ?

The job lot win consisted of a few bits I needed, the rest well............ I reckon I'm not far off another full engine may just keep that for a rainy day.... or until an early frame comes along

Quote Originally Posted by bigduke6 View Post
    What was different on the rear frame Ron
    On these first contract G3L frames, the plates where the rear wheel spindles goes are just sort of welded in place like in this picture. After that the frames were made with proper brazed lugs. They would also have had a drilled for lightness rear sprocket. I know of a couple of guys who are going, or been to great lengths to build one of these 1st bikes to factory spec. Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G3L 123.jpg  

Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information