Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: WD Matchless Chassis and Catalogue No's

Default Re: WD Matchless Chassis and Catalogue No's

Duke! Not sure where you're looking up your info? I calculate that engine 26801 is the 1752nd engine from the second contract #C9841. There were no 6 digit engine numbers during the war and I'm wondering if that second engine went through Greek hands?? They often come with strange hieroglyphics.

Very interesting repair to the drive side. Is it just the three primary cover bolts that hold it all together or am I not seeing it correctly?

Ron
    Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    2 Pounder anti tank gun 1941
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

2. Advertisement

Morning Ron, well spotted and my mistake, I took the 6 as a 3 when I first got them so had written it down as 23801 !!!!
    all down to My number dyslexia.

The repair to the second as you say is just the 3 bolts that would hold it together, its suffered some damage to around the 7 o'clock area, which is not a good repair but could be redone.

I think I'd prefer for that repair plate to be welded in place. But I'm thinking, if crankcase 26801 is in better condition than your original, that could be the one to use? All part of WD motorcycles where although it's nice, it's quite normal to not have matching numbers.

Ron
    Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

Ron, There is not much between the two apart from the original is need of some repairs and I'm half way through making a jacking rig for the tappets, 26801 is probably the better choice just needs the bronze bush's renewed, this has had a repair on the bottom web (you can see it on the pic) just needs tidying up, there are some scars inside the oil pump plunger housing but no worse than the original.

To be honest I've never been a matching numbers person, being a collector of Enfield rifles (Sniper and .22 trainers) there are some who get anal not just about numbers but the parts manufacturer...... mainly Long branch No4 collectors though.

Just making the most of the weather and getting some tin ware done.........

Progress..... not much but its a start, I managed to source some NOS cams, plust the remainder of parts arrived from Les at Russel Motors (big thanks to him).

With the last spell of good weather managed to strip the main frame, probably not a minute too soon, as the paint just flaked off with a lot of rust and corrosion underneath, not too bad but it showed what lies underneath, after the initial strip, it went through the electrolysis method to get into all the nooks and crannies remove the rust etc, I've used this on many things and can't fault it, cheap and takes about 24 hrs, all it needs is a regular check and to wire brush the oxide off, once dried off and cleaned of all the visible oxide etc, it went into the blast cabinet, as soon as this was done it was cleansed down with thinners and its first coat of red oxide primer. the 4th pic below shows the dark areas of what were rust and corrosion.....

Managed to clean up the crank cases I got on ebay, and have come up ok, and to build up the bottom end with the new bearing, with it in the lathe and set up in various ways it was running within .0001

It seems all my pics have gone !!!! can't say I'm too impressed with Photo Bucket, as I've used this for many years then this with no warning......reading on the web its happened to a few.

Luckily I saved most pics on my Mac, but will try and and save my files from Photobucket and move to another image hosting site.

when I recover the pics will repost them. Not much of an update as other things have stopped play, all the frame is ready now for a final coat of Service Brown. But will wait till all the tin ware is ready and do it in one hit.

Yes all my photobucket images disappeared a few weeks back and it's the only way you can post pictures on the WD M20 site. After hunting around on the photobucket site, I found a means to email them for help and complain. Their response was to tell me how to correct the situation in the kind of computer language that I don't understand.......But by the next day, all my pictures returned........I still hate photobucket though!! Ron
    Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

I deleted the account and moved pics to Imjur, I had saved all the pics on my Mac so not a problem, will hopefully restore my thread with the original pics etc when time permits.

Yep some of us regular posters on the WD M20 site have had years worth of information pictures blocked by Photobucket. It's quite a disaster really! I'm not going to spend hours trying to reinstate 10 years worth of pictures, so that information is lost unless it's asked for again. I've tried an experimental picture with this site. https://imgbb.com/

Ron
    Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yep some of us regular posters on the WD M20 site have had years worth of information pictures blocked by Photobucket. It's quite a disaster really! I'm not going to spend hours trying to reinstate 10 years worth of pictures, so that information is lost unless it's asked for again. I've tried an experimental picture with this site. https://imgbb.com/

Ron
    I looked at imgbb, when looking around, imjur was mentioned a few times so tried one pic like yourself, seemed ok and no adverts.

Its a disgrace what they did, When you think of others like yourself Ron, who have gone to great lengths to supply info and images to benefit others..... and the time and it takes uploading, downloading etc etc then pulled beneath you in seconds.......

I'm only on this forum and Milsurps, one account with PB I still have and will try remove the albums to imjur or similar. Milsurps have image capture software, so if anyone does pull a stunt like Photo Bucket, the image remains regardless. until you edit your post and remove images.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information