Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Clutch won't disengage on T-54

Default Re: Clutch won't disengage on T-54

Clearly he must have been Republican Guard!
    Tanks, trucks and such...

2. Advertisement

The T54 made Aquino and ran well for the weekend. Woohoo!

The new clutch is noticeably different in operation. You have to feather it more to prevent stalling on pull away because those nice flat plates engage more positively. Also it is now possible to engage a gear with the clutch pedal depressed at standstill without loud grinding.

And then it developed a bad coolant leak. I suspect refilling the coolant system to a normal level actually generated some pressure in the system and we blew one of the less accessible old hoses we couldn't replace. The pressure is on now to fix it for the Gulf War tank day this Saturday.

Malcolm

Saw the videos of it at Aquino, looked great slogging through the mud! How did the coolant leak repair go Malcolm?

John

John, the coolant leak was a 5 minute fix. After I dropped the big hinged hull hatch underneath the engine, I found the short coolant hose we had forgotten to tighten the clamp on after using it to drain the coolant a year ago. Classic example of what can get forgotten when it takes that long to get replacement parts (which was not Panzerfarm's fault, by the way).

She ran pretty well in the Gulf war show last Saturday. I think the gearbox had synchro originally, but it doesn't now! The 1-2 shift is damn near impossible. In fact, I suspect first gear is a bull low gear, not designed for normal driving. You can start in second keeping revs up and easing the clutch, but it is easier to pull both tiller bars back to the first detent to get the gear steering reduction on both tracks (which approximates first gear) and then, when she's moving, push both bars forward to engage second. 2 to 3 is a nice shift, with the massive torque of the engine coping no problem with the speed drop during the double de-clutching. But the downshift from 3-2 is a bit balky.

And you you gotta keep an eye on the coolant temp. The driver is solely responsible for this as there is no thermostat. When she gets up to the top end of the range, 100C, you have to operate the lever to open the radiator louvres. It's damn hard work and quite stressful!

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

ours has a very low first gear and usually, unless loading or unloading from a trailer or negotiating really tough terrain, I use 2nd to start off in as well. Yes they can be quite the beasts to drive, not a wonder the Israeli's re-powered them with the Detroit 8V92 and Allison cross-drive from the M109 series, we obtained a great running M109 powerpack from MCB Pendleton and were seriously considering the retro-fit. But so far we have managed to keep the old girl original so I guess once we run out of engines and transmissions we will have to consider it...What does your DsHk run off of? Is it a gas gun or blanks? Sure looked impressive!

John

Malcolm another thing I thought I should mention is that when we first got the tank running, we had the idle set too high, this also made gear changes tough. Once we had the thing running smooth and we lowered the idle to spec it was much easier to accomplish gear changes.

John

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information