Hi is it just me d day 6th June 1944 .72 years ago today nothing mentioned on news .local radio nothing at all asked some work colleagues in there twenties what happened on this day in history 72 years ago ,shocked they didn't no is it just me or what ! :undecided:

Surely no-one's really surprised about this are they?

Anniversary years only count when they end in a 0 or a 5, for media purposes - that's when the 'VIPs' turn out and, hence, the TV cameras.

Veterans - they're still around, but (of course) getting frailer and thinner on the ground. Guess we'll see the last of them pass on in the next decade or so. The very youngest of them will be in their late 80s already.

But - their glory shall not be blotted out!

Surely no-one's really surprised about this are they?

Anniversary years only count when they end in a 0 or a 5, for media purposes - that's when the 'VIPs' turn out and, hence, the TV cameras.

Veterans - they're still around, but (of course) getting frailer and thinner on the ground. Guess we'll see the last of them pass on in the next decade or so. The very youngest of them will be in their late 80s already.

But - their glory shall not be blotted out!

The last months several veterans we knew passed away.

Unavoidable offcourse but still sad.

At least we MV enthousiasts, re-enacters and history buffs remember.

Oh sorry to add has anyone gone over to Normandy and how many veterans or left now ?

​4 british from 47 commando, 1 army commando & 1 French commando at the Port en Bessin memorial service on the 7th

What gave me the shivers the time I went there. It's so narrow.The panic and chaos of trying to get men and equipment through there must have been insane. The guide at the local musuem said it took five years to clean up afterwards, and that the flies were as thick as fog.

Now, it's a lovely place to stop for a picnic.

Oh sorry to add has anyone gone over to Normandy and how many veterans or left now ?

47 Commando memorial Port-en-Bessin on a very warm / hazy morning, June 7th 2016.

The ex commando doing the reading to his fallen comrades is 94 years old & as sharp as a pin.

DSC04433.jpg

DSC04434.jpg

DSC04435.jpg

DSC04437.jpg

DSC04438.jpg