RE: British Rations

Danny152

It was called Cheese possessed for a very good reason!! :wow: :wow:

There is a new version of cheese possessed in current ration packs, 'Cheddar Cheese FLAVOURED Spread' also made by Kraft. When I finally plucked up courage to try it I was pleasantly surprised, it's lovely on toast!

There is a new version of cheese possessed in current ration packs, 'Cheddar Cheese FLAVOURED Spread' also made by Kraft. When I finally plucked up courage to try it I was pleasantly surprised, it's lovely on toast!

Same stuff different name. According to the Kraft web site, contains 51 to 75% natural cheese,, the least fat but most moisture of their products, so you can't make candles out of it.

Same stuff different name. According to the Kraft web site, contains 51 to 75% natural cheese,, the least fat but most moisture of their products, so you can't make candles out of it.

Presumably the other 25 to 49% is un-natural cheese?

:shocking:

Chris.

(Remembering a couple of "San Marco Margherita pizza" that contained no cheese whatsoever. They were so revolting that the second one was used as a muzzle cover for an 8" firework mortar - and not removed prior to firing it.) :-D

I have encountered processed cheese, and had no nightmares while asleep. While awake: only when threatened with more of same.

Somewhat peripheral to topic: I once bought some processed smoked cheese of Germanic origin (whether German or Austrian, memory fails - perhaps in self defense...) to make cheeseburgers with on the Barbie; it didn't melt on said burgers, so we toasted it on the grill - a very hot Mongolian cast iron stove made in China. It could, I'm sure, have smelted bronze. No matter how we upped the temperature, this cheese would not melt, so we decided to test it to destruction. Extra fuel; more air; more heat! Nothing. The charcoal expended, this alleged foodstuff remained, cheerfully oblivious to all our attempts at tyrocide.

That's the stuff for ration packs; able to survive a direct nuclear strike, I wouldn't be surprised.

• 2 years later...

Hi I have collected lots of info on rations including a few menus I'll post the, (they are copied from all over the place on the web):

Plus instructions to make your own Oatmeal block!

Home-made oatmeal block
Some people love them, some people hate them, but quite by chance I found a recipe recently that makes something that is very close to the RATPACK oatmeal blocks. I made a first batch a few weeks ago as per the recipe, and they tasted to me like an unsweetened oatmeal block, so I added sugar to the batch I made yesterday and they are getting even closer to the original. If you're interested, here's the recipe.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together: 60g medium oatmeal; 60g wholemeal flour; 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda; pinch of salt; 30g golden caster sugar.

Stir in 20g (a tablespoon) of melted lard, followed by 5 tablespoons of boiling water (75ml) and mix to a stiff dough. If it's stoo sticky (it shouldn't stick to your hands), add oatmeal and flour in equal quantities until the mix is right. If it's too dry, add a bit more boiling water.

Roll it out on a well floured board to about 5mm thick (thickness of a biscuit) and cut out using a 3" pastry cutter. Put on a greased baking sheet and bake at Gas Mark 6 for 10-20 minutes. The recipe said 10 minutes, but I found that it needed 20 minutes in my oven to get them nice and crisp. They definitely want to turn a few shades darker than they start off so they are nice and golden brown.

This quantity made about 9 biscuits.

Menu sheet 70s to 80s.odt

My GS rations copy of ration sheet.odt

1950's rations very similar to WW2 rations.odt

An Arctic issue ration pack as issued in 1952.odt

1970's to 80's  ration display.jpg

Edited by webkitlover
better info
  • Like 1

I have also made an (almost complete) fake ration for display purposes, I have since made a packet of nuts&raisins and a packet of those boiled sweets!

Yes it really is all fake! the Biscuits Brown were tricky to copy because of the green foil, so I made do with green wrapping paper, which is slightly sparkly! lol

My GS rations.JPG

• Like 1

I like the 70s/80s menu, a choice of 4!, nowadays there are 20 different menus, 2 of which ( menu 1 & menu 11) are vegetarian, although it is quite common to get a veggie main meal in other menus.

I display a current ration pack at shows and I can't believe the amount of people who tell their children that all the meals are dehydrated even though I have a sign as part of the display explaining that all meals are pre cooked and can be eaten hot or cold.

• Like 1

I tried the apple and apricot?, flakes in the late 80's, I went camping with a friend and we used his Dads ex Falklands rations, or what was left of them I did however get to try the  Tubes of Margerine, condensed milk and steak and kidney pud, i also remember a tiny white and blue pot of salt about 1" tall like half an AA battery, made completely from cardboard, with a plastic lid either end, one end was shaker the other you could refill it!  brilliant idea!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the fruit pudding in a tin too, I remeber liking it a lot! it sort of looked like pale christmas cake(withour the icing), I don't know what it was called. I also had a tin same size as the normal ration tins which contained "boiled sweets and matches",  I opened some time in the 90's just to see what was in it...no big surprise it was a handful of those standard ration sweets and a book of matches....never quite sure where the tin came from, it would seem to be more of a last ditch  emergency thing you might find in a liferaft or jet. was "sweets and matches in a tin" a standard issue thing?