detector mine 5a polish amplifier ya 25329

BIGREDONE

Ok peeps as the title says

Picked the amp box,leads,head set and back pack in 37 pat.

I cant find any reference to this via google.

One L strap was marked 1943...but we know that could have been just attached to a later bag.

I know the polish sweeper was superceded

Help please

Ta

I will take some pictures

Many thanks. (I'm trying to track down the various "Satchel Signals", which went up to at least No.12 by the end of WW2, and identify what equipment they were used with.

(Obviously the original "Satchel Signals" ZA.6292 is a "multi-purpose part" as it replaced "Bags, Telephone Receiver" and "Cases, Message Book, Mark IV" sometime before 1940. It eventually turned into "Haversacks, No.1", and probably ceased production in the late 1980s.)

No.1 is the original Satchel Signals

No.2 is the spare battery bag for the WS18 and WS38, etc.

No.3 is the backpack (without the wiring harness fitted) for the WS46.

No.4 ?

No.5 ?

No.6 is for the Detector, Mine, No.4 and 4A

No.7 is the toolkit for the 60 watt pedal generator used with the WS62

No.8 ?

No.9 ?

No.10 is the backpack for WS38 Mk.3

No.11 ?

No.12 is for the Detector, Mine, No.6A

...did they carry on with special purpose webbing packs after this?

Trying to fill the gaps. :D

Chris.

Hmm... Pack looks like ZA.22756 (or possibly 86) in the photograph.

Amplifier uses ARP12 valves, with 4 x 'X' cells in series-parallel for the filament supply and a 60 volt brick for HT.

I assume there are holes in the side and/or bottom of the pack for the cables to fit through?

The 5-point "snatch plug" will be to connect the search coil to the amplifier, and I think they had a small (hand held) search coil for close work, and a larger (pole mounted with counterbalance weight) for area sweeping.

1943/1944 sounds about right for age.

Chris.

p.s. the illustration is almost certainly from the user handbook!

http://polishscottishheritage.co.uk/?heritage_item=scotland-the-country-of-the-inventors

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
Found more info!

Okay, ZA.22756 it is. :D

The cables come out of the top of the pack, and I assume the flap on the side is to cover an on/off switch or something.

Chris.

Its a mystery as no on off switch on battery box.....It must be so rare...perhaps special forces...LOL

Im just wondering if it was made in England for another nation to use and the British Army never used this 5a model??

Its a mystery as no on off switch on battery box.....It must be so rare...perhaps special forces...LOL

Im just wondering if it was made in England for another nation to use and the British Army never used this 5a model??

Ha! The 6A is special forces (well, Combined Operations, so small and lightweight for paratroops and fully waterproof for the marines) and I've seen several of those. :D

I think the Polish 5A is an improved Polish 3A, with waterproof connectors and using commonly available parts instead of the expensive (and custom) brass connectors on the 3A.

There was a war on, if something worked and was needed it would be rushed into production and issued. I wonder if the Poles used odd numbers for their mine detectors and the British used even numbers, just to avoid confusion?

The manual page in that historical article is clearly British, and the change of stores code is a hint that it was under rapid revision/development - being switched from "Electric light and power" (Section W) to "Radio & Electronic equipment" (Section Z) - though it may have been a post-WW2 tidyup (I somehow doubt this).

The on/off switch is on the hand control box, of course. I am an idiot.

I'm now wondering what the flap-covered-hole in the backpack lines up with; Headphone socket?

Does your No.3A have a custom backpack? If so: number, please? (As the Operator used to say.) :D

Chris.