Lanc, Tank & Military machines 28.05.16

We decided to go to this show last minute - I hadn't heard about it until my brother sent me a Facebook link. We made the mistake of going through Newark rather than Grantham so lost some time but still arrived in time to see the BBMF Hurricane & Spitfire display.

I'd been to East Kirkby Lincolnshire Heritage Aviation Centre last July for a friends Rover meet so was familiar with the site. The parking was easy & plentiful on arrival. Entry price was £12 per adult, we didn't see any concessions but it was all going to a good cause.

The Lanc was set up near the watch tower and for £2 you could view the cockpit up close. People who had paid quite a bit more got to taxi up & down the airfield. Shortly afterwards we were treated to a live firing display from the two M36 Jacksons against simulated 'hitler youth'. A real treat was the £3 airfield tour in the Bedford OX & Queen Mary trailer. The driver gave a very knowledgeable & humouruos narration of the airfields history with several stops along the way - well worth doing if you go.

The local MVT were in attendance and aside from the two M36s there was a small interesting selection of vehicles - especially the mighty Foden EKA :D. We found there were plenty of toilets & food outlets and the event was well attended without being overcrowded. The setting provides a good historic backdrop and is interesting in its own right. If this event occurs next year, I'll take the Militant.

The show is on again today - recommended.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We decided to go to this show last minute - I hadn't heard about it until my brother sent me a Facebook link. We made the mistake of going through Newark rather than Grantham so lost some time but still arrived in time to see the BBMF Hurricane & Spitfire display.

I'd been to East Kirkby Lincolnshire Heritage Aviation Centre last July for a friends Rover meet so was familiar with the site. The parking was easy & plentiful on arrival. Entry price was £12 per adult, we didn't see any concessions but it was all going to a good cause.

The Lanc was set up near the watch tower and for £2 you could view the cockpit up close. People who had paid quite a bit more got to taxi up & down the airfield. Shortly afterwards we were treated to a live firing display from the two M36 Jacksons against simulated 'hitler youth'. A real treat was the £3 airfield tour in the Bedford OX & Queen Mary trailer. The driver gave a very knowledgeable & humouruos narration of the airfields history with several stops along the way - well worth doing if you go.

The local MVT were in attendance and aside from the two M36s there was a small interesting selection of vehicles - especially the mighty Foden EKA :D. We found there were plenty of toilets & food outlets and the event was well attended without being overcrowded. The setting provides a good historic backdrop and is interesting in its own right. If this event occurs next year, I'll take the Militant.

The show is on again today - recommended.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115584[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115586[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115587[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115588[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115589[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115590[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115591[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115593[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the report and pictures. Must have first visited this place in the early to mid 90s when I can still remember as a youngster getting a chance to look inside the Lancaster cockpit and have a ride in the Queen Mary trailer. Visited again around 10 years ago now - although only a quick stop off. About time went again. I'll add it to the list!

If your driving up the A1 it's quicker to come off the A1 at Colsterworth and follow the signs for RAF Cranwell. This takes you over the high dyke and you get to Sleaford about 20 minutes quicker than going through Grantham and about 50 minutes quicker than Newark. The high dyke doesn't look much on a map but it's the old roman road (Ermine way) so is straight and with very little traffic.

The high dyke doesn't look much on a map but it's the old roman road (Ermine way) so is straight and with very little traffic.

Just be careful driving along it (especially trying to overtake), as while it's straight, it's definitely not level - you get a lot of idiots racing along it & if they don't get you, the wandering deer might... Definitely preferable to either Grantham or the A17, though :)