Standard UV Tilly 12hp Light Utility 4x2

Ian L

Finished the engine rebuild this morning, same problem as before with gaskets not fitting but this time it was the thicker sump gasket which held me up.

Spent about an hour cleaning up the poor casting marks in the block, it was worth it as I'm quite pleased with the finished result.

DSC05130.jpg

DSC05131.jpg

DSC05132.jpg

DSC05133.jpg

DSC05134.jpg

DSC05135.jpg

DSC05136.jpg

DSC05137.jpg

DSC05138.jpg

DSC05139.jpg

still looks very tidy :thumbsup:

Pete

Cheers Pete.

That brass plate on the front of the engine is a post war rebuild plate so I suspect it was painted in MOWOG green at that point ? the engine never was painted in the military postwar blue.

• 3 weeks later...
Any joy on the engine hood yet, to cover up that beautiful looking engine?

Hi Larry I picked up the shot blasting today minus the badly damaged bonnet which he has sent away to a vehicle restorers / fabricators (without my agreement) so lets see what turns up :mad: the less badly damaged bonnet has been repaired but I need to trial fit it as the curve looks wrong where it sits on the radiator.

The panels were in much worse condition that I expected with deep pitting, rotten & distorted, loads of welding / straightening & filling to do I think.

DSC05355.jpg

DSC05356.jpg

DSC05357.jpg

DSC05358.jpg

DSC05359.jpg

DSC05360.jpg

DSC05361.jpg

DSC05362.jpg

DSC05363.jpg

• 1 month later...
Ian, any updates on the Tilly?

Hi not really anything worth posting at the moment Larry, been tinkering with the Humber & got the K5 in storage for the winter so that we can work on it undercover.

Building another double garage for the trailers but once that's finished (Christmas fingers crossed) it will be full steam ahead again.

Still not got the second bonnet back yet, are you doing Brooklands in a couple of weekends time ?

Regards Ian

Very close Pete but not exactly correct, I know MOWOG green is a later colour.

Not exactly sure how it was with military vehicles, but, MOWOG green is only party accurate. My understanding is that while the engines were painted green, in reality they just kept topping up the vats with green - so, there is no standard green, just a variety of shades of which Moss picked one.

BTW in MG world, a MOWOG is also a mythical three foot high creature with four inch long fingers suitable for undoing the nuts under the dashboard - and various other tasks.

• 1 month later...

Spending all this time off with a back injury is allowing me to troll the internet & I had another lucky find.

Looking for someone to make brake linings I found a seller advertising N.O.S linings for £70 + £3.30 postage but no photo & when they turned up they were complete set of 8 shoes & Linings

DSC06010.jpg

DSC06011.jpg

DSC06013.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Tilly I'm restoring was missing its front windscreen & metal surround but luckily one of the many spares that came with it was a N.O.S frame in red oxide :-D

The plan is to get 2 pieces of glass cut to size & then send them off to be toughened as although the original's were laminated I've had a bad experience with a windscreen that was pushed open in the corner & cracked across the screen :mad:

DSC06161.jpg

DSC06162.jpg

DSC06163.jpg

DSC06164.jpg

Ian, I'm glad you are getting better; sometimes the cure for a bad back is to be distracted by something interesting to you and ignore the other matter.

Hi Larry not really getting better mate, I've been off work since December 2nd & my 1st Hospital appointment is Monday January 30th & Wednesday February 1st :-( its bloody painful trying to stand up and do anything.

Does anyone know who this Tilly belongs to ? it's a period looking black/white photo but I suspect its a modern restoration ?

I'm interested in who made the 2 piece canvas as although its incorrect as far as I know it's exactly what I want to with mine.

The original canvas (both of mine still have theirs) would of been one piece & screwed down with a metal strip along the top of the windscreen and along the tops of the doors making it immovable.

I like this one as he has had turn buckles fitted along the top of the screen rail making both sections removable.

ANY LEADS APPRECIATED PLEASE;)

Standard Tilly Canvas.jpg

Edited by Ian L
Spelling mistake.