Standard UV Tilly 12hp Light Utility 4x2

Ian L

[QUOTE=Ian L;468694]Found an original manual on ebay for £5 the same week as I bought the Tillys & nothing since, also apart from the origional tax discs in their holder I found this, any ideas what it is ?

That is an old "C" licence or "Carriers Licence" - used during the war, I think and for a few years after!

Found an original manual on ebay for £5 the same week as I bought the Tillys & nothing since, also apart from the origional tax discs in their holder I found this, any ideas what it is ?

Hi Ian , that licence you have is a road haulage C licence , in the mid 1940's , nationalisation was brought in for the road haulage industry , the C licence was for small operators who carried their own goods , so an early version of the restricted licence in force today.

Hi Ian , that licence you have is a road haulage C licence , in the mid 1940's , nationalisation was brought in for the road haulage industry , the C licence was for small operators who carried their own goods , so an early version of the restricted licence in force today.

Hi Guys thanks, would leonard Caines be the holder or a company ?

My Grandparents had a Bakery business right through the War years and into the 1950's - operating two Bakery vans. The relevant "C" licences had to be purchased for each van in addition to the ordinary Road Tax Licences - and were displayed in the windscreens along side each other. They were much cheaper than the Road Tax Licences and the last ones I remember were 2/6d each - but you had to have a "C" licence for a delivery service such as theirs.

As far as I can remember it was the company name that was shown on the licence but of course in a lot of cases the company and the holder were one and the same person.

Nice, very nice in fact, but why has one got a wooden back and the other steel? I assume that they are off different dates, or is there some other reason?

trevor

Hi Trevor I don't know what you've seen but they both have identical rear bodies, wooden frame covered in steel & wooden tail gates.

This engine had been partly dismantled when I got the vehicle but we don't know why ? it still had the military alloy cylinder head on (civilian 12s have steel so I'm told) but it was so corroded & eaten away it was beyond repair so I had a steel one from the spare engine skimmed.

The engine had a military rebuild with +20 pistons but the rings were broken & seized and +20 pistons / rings are no nolonger available according to the Standard Motor Club so it was cheaper to buy a set of N.O.S +30 pistons / rings & have it rebored than to have a new set of rings made.

DSC04292.jpg

DSC04293.jpg

DSC04296.jpg

DSC04297.jpg

DSC04298.jpg

DSC04300.jpg

DSC04301.jpg

DSC04302.jpg

DSC04303.jpg

I managed to make up 1 good carburettor out of the 3 I have, the other 2 would need a lot of work as the casting where the butterfly spindle goes through is very worn & they a badly corroded & distorted on the float bowl surface.

I have also made up a working fuel pump out of 2 damaged units & the 3rd one looks like its salvable.

DSC04307.jpg

DSC04306.jpg

DSC04305.jpg

DSC04304.jpg

Today I made up a good working distributor out of 4 damaged units although I think I can make up one more for the second tilly if I can get another baseplate without stripped threads.

I also managed to find a prewar / wartime side entry distributor cap (hens teeth) which is correct for this vehicle. SECOND ONE REQUIRED IF ANYBODY HAS ONE TO SELL ? :hug:

DSC04308.jpg

DSC04309.jpg

DSC04310.jpg

DSC04311.jpg

DSC04312.jpg

DSC04313.jpg

DSC04314.jpg

Hi Trevor I don't know what you've seen but they both have identical rear bodies, wooden frame covered in steel & wooden tail gates.

Ah yes, I see, it must have been the colour and angle, but I thought that the sides of the one you are working had wooden sides :nut:

On another note, is that a repair or just how the casting is, as it looks like a patch down on the side at the engine number end of the block? As you can probably tell, I do not know much about Standard Tillys.

trevor

Ah yes, I see, it must have been the colour and angle, but I thought that the sides of the one you are working had wooden sides :nut:

On another note, is that a repair or just how the casting is, as it looks like a patch down on the side at the engine number end of the block? As you can probably tell, I do not know much about Standard Tillys.

trevor

Hi Trevor its a casting mark, there's no sign of any repair inside the block & one of the other blocks is similar, they must of had some poor moulds in the war ?

Hi Trevor its a casting mark, there's no sign of any repair inside the block & one of the other blocks is similar, they must of had some poor moulds in the war ?

Or, Ian, perhaps they had a problem with cracking and this was a temporary fix before re-engineering the whole thing. It would be interesting to compare the block to a later equivalent block.

trevor

I managed to make up 1 good carburettor out of the 3 I have, the other 2 would need a lot of work as the casting where the butterfly spindle goes through is very worn & they a badly corroded & distorted on the float bowl surface.

I have also made up a working fuel pump out of 2 damaged units & the 3rd one looks like its salvable.

Ha ha 2 days later a Solex 30FAI arrives in the post, won it on ebay for £32 + P&P could of waited months or years but I was lucky.

DSC04316.jpg

DSC04324.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just got the radiator back from Berkshire Radiators (Caversham Reading) shame I had to lose the old core but it weighed about 3 times what it should do as it was blocked with scale.

New modern core fitted with more tubes so should give better cooling.

DSC04556.jpg

DSC04557.jpg

DSC04558.jpg

DSC04559.jpg

DSC04565.jpg

DSC04566.jpg

DSC04569.jpg

DSC04570.jpg

Edited by Ian L
spelling