20/50 should do the job. I use the Halford's Classic 20/50 in my 1944 Dodges with very good results.

As has been pointed out to you many times before Tony the engines in 1940's/50s vehicles were not designed for multigrade detergent oils.

I don't know the grade of oil for the K9 but suspect like most vehicles of that era it would probably be 30 grade.

I use Morris Oils in all of my old vehicles (always have done) as do many other members on here.

Well, I'll agree or disagree with both of you!

I don't think there's an issue with using 20W50 just on the basis of grade. There might be an issue with using a high dispersancy oil designed for more modern engines in an older engine with a bypass filter. How much any of this matters in a low, light use vehicle run mainly in the summer is moot.

The original specification for the Austin K9 is monograde SAE 30 (or OMD 110 in Army speak), and you'll need (at least) two gallons.

If you're using SAE 30, I've never had any trouble with Morris' Golden Film oils for classics.

As has been pointed out to you many times before Tony the engines in 1940's/50s vehicles were not designed for multigrade detergent oils.

I don't know the grade of oil for the K9 but suspect like most vehicles of that era it would probably be 30 grade.

I use Morris Oils in all of my old vehicles (always have done) as do many other members on here.

while not experts and leave that to others we use Halford classic on our collection without issue

Colin, what filter unit do you have on at the moment? Is it mounted up by the distributor on a bracket with a large and small pipe going to it?

Sean,

That's what I have at present. I have ordered a Fram HPK2 filter base from Ebay and will make a bracket to attach it to the engine with the fittings rotated 90 degrees to allow me to use the existing pipes. I hope top remove the fittings from the top of the old unit and then make some 1/2" NPT adapters by either threading some existing parts to take the new. I can post the detail and some images on here. It may help others in the future.

I plan to use a Peugeot 2L HDI diesel filter, if it can deal with a high power turbo diesel, it shoul easily take the flow from these small tubes. I hope the bracket turns up in the post this weekend!

Thanks

Colin

http://www.bailey-steam.com

Colin, I hate to say this but if you're going to fit a remote filter that's probably not the best way to do it.

Most K9s were fitted with a bypass filter, as yours is. Bypass filters are fitted in parallel to the normal flow of oil through the bearings - they don't take the full flow of the oil. That's why a high dispersancy oil (one that retains contaminants in suspension so they can be filtered out) is a bad idea with a bypass filter, and why oil change intervals are so short in bypass filter engines.

For a classic vehicle, seeing low and not particularly arduous use and (hopefully) regular maintenance at probably shorter than recommended intervals, this probably isn't an issue. You could live with the old filter and change the oil regularly, likely without problem, or fit a new standard bypass filter - if you can find one!

As an alternative, you can buy aftermarket replacements for the bypass filter which use a replica filter casing with a modern spin on filter mounted inside; although this still leaves you not filtering the oil fully.

However, RAF vehicles had a modern style full flow filter fitted in line with the oil flow, low down at the front right hand side of the block; and K9 engines are all equipped to take the full flow filter - Army vehicles just have the fitting blanked off. If you can find a full flow filter and housing you can unblank this and fit the full flow filter.

If you are going to go to the trouble of making up and fitting a remote spin-on filter and housing, you might as well make sure you're filtering the oil fully. You could easily make up a take-off plate to fit where the full-flow filter should go and pipe that to your remote filter, giving yourself an easily replaceable full flow filter.

Edited by Sean N

Colin, I hate to say this but if you're going to fit a remote filter that's probably not the best way to do it.

Most K9s were fitted with a bypass filter, as yours is. Bypass filters are fitted in parallel to the normal flow of oil through the bearings - they don't take the full flow of the oil. That's why a high dispersancy oil (one that retains contaminants in suspension so they can be filtered out) is a bad idea with a bypass filter, and why oil change intervals are so short in bypass filter engines.

For a classic vehicle, seeing low and not particularly arduous use and (hopefully) regular maintenance at probably shorter than recommended intervals, this probably isn't an issue. You could live with the old filter and change the oil regularly, likely without problem, or fit a new standard bypass filter - if you can find one!

As an alternative, you can buy aftermarket replacements for the bypass filter which use a replica filter casing with a modern spin on filter mounted inside; although this still leaves you not filtering the oil fully.

However, RAF vehicles had a modern style full flow filter fitted in line with the oil flow, low down at the front right hand side of the block; and K9 engines are all equipped to take the full flow filter - Army vehicles just have the fitting blanked off. If you can find a full flow filter and housing you can unblank this and fit the full flow filter.

If you are going to go to the trouble of making up and fitting a remote spin-on filter and housing, you might as well make sure you're filtering the oil fully. You could easily make up a take-off plate to fit where the full-flow filter should go and pipe that to your remote filter, giving yourself an easily replaceable full flow filter.

thanks Sean for the information. I realise now that fitting the remote is nearly a waste of time as I have fitted it. The hole in the small tube fitting is only 1/8 of an inch, so nearly no flow. I wish I had seen this post earlier. I would have done as you suggest.