Royal Enfield WDCO Primary chain inner casing/clutch bush

demon

Ok my last problem I need to solve. The clutch basket has been rubbing the inside of the casing on the piece that moves back and forth when you adjust the gearbox etc (sorry I'm not sure what it's called) to the point the welds have been worn away. Two questions.

1. Is there meant to be a spacer between the bush and the basket?

2. Is this part replaceable or is it a case of a new inner casing?

I can only see on Hitchcocks page that they list the casing and it's currently unavailable. I'm sure a couple of welds will do the job.

image.jpg

Demon, these Enfield's leave a bit to be desired with the space between the clutch and the gearbox. Anything out of line or bent frame and the rear chain can rub on the back of the chain case or the clutch can rub on the inside of the case. There appears to be a bodge repair to yours. It should look like this I think. There is no bush or spacer behind the clutch hub. It's well worth spending some time fettling/adjusting the bottom bracket and spacer tube so that the inner case is clear of both rear chain and clutch, before you do the final fitting. Ron

WDL 013.jpg

It's certainly looks like it's been welded/bodged/modified in the past and looking at yours it's different.

I presume the round part the main shaft goes through on yours moves?

For now I'll try and modify mine and make it work as I need it for Armor Embarkation in 4 weeks time.

The main reason why the chain and or clutch rub on the case is because usually there are a number of spacers missing or the bracket are in the incorrect position. The idea is that as you adjust the primary chain by moving the gearbox, the circular disc in Rons pic moves back and forth with the main shaft, thus maintaining a seal (ish). The disc you see is one of two, the second being on the back of the case. These 2 discs are sandwiched over a seal, possibly cork or leather (rubber would work better) and secured by rivets (I've seen them welded).

The picture I posted is the chain cover from my WD/L as it's the only one I seem to have a picture of. I'm sure it's just a single disc, held in place by the crescent moon shaped plate above it. It's so long since I've had my WD/C or CO apart, I can't remember how it looks. Ron

Norton chaincase inners look identical to Enfield except for the brackets and give the impression that they were made by the same supplier. I've seen these with both the 'eyebrow' retainer that Ron shows and the double rivetted type. It wasn't until the Commando that they actually started putting a seal in - prior to that it was more to keep dirt out. The oil level of course should actually be very low and provided that any run-off from above is deflected, it shouldn't pour out...no more than runs down the mainshaft and drips down the back anyway.

The modification on Demon's case is a bit of a bodge but does look to be a way of sandwiching a sliding plate between two pop-rivetted covers - it ought to work but the rear of the clutch has clearly been catching the pop rivet heads.

There is very little space between the two chain runs and alignment is a question of setting the inner case so that it avoids primary chain, clutch drum and final drive chain. It's rare to see an undamaged used example which suggests that it's not that easy to do over prolonged use.

A wobbly clutch centre won't help. As I recall, you had quite a rough mainshaft bearing on the other end - if that was allowing the shaft to move further towards the timing side then the already small clearance behind the clutch sould have been further reduced. Ron will know the ins-and outs- of these Albion / Enfield clutches but on most clutches of this period, the centres are only broached to a certain depth and the resultant shoulder provides the positive location of the clutch. If it has been run loose, this will become damaged and allow the clutch to sit deeper and closer to the case. The only real cure for this is a new centre.

These things often arise when everything becomes a little worn and battered. There is probably no single cause and no magic answer beyond going through it methodically.

Edited by 79x100

Ron, your L chain case should have an inner and outer disc, it looks to have the 2 rivets that attach the 2 half a together. There would have been a cork or leather seal in between. The seals didn't last long and all the ones I've repaired only had the remains left around the rivets.

Indeed Chris, now I look again at the picture I can see the rivets. With hind site I should take more pictures, otherwise the only way to answer these questions is to pull the bike apart. That picture was taken mainly to show the original KG3 paint that was left inside and under several parts. I managed to match the paint by mixing greens and brown. Ron

The main reason why the chain and or clutch rub on the case is because usually there are a number of spacers missing or the bracket are in the incorrect position. The idea is that as you adjust the primary chain by moving the gearbox, the circular disc in Rons pic moves back and forth with the main shaft, thus maintaining a seal (ish). The disc you see is one of two, the second being on the back of the case. These 2 discs are sandwiched over a seal, possibly cork or leather (rubber would work better) and secured by rivets (I've seen them welded).

Hi Chris

I assume it is a flat seal under the disc which sits on the outside of the case? I had the two discs crudely rivetted together on the case but no evidence of a seal.

All interesting reading. I removed the welds and it turns out that there are two pieces of sheet metal sandwiching two spacers so the centre piece can move back and forth with the gearbox. I threw away one of the piece of sheet metal and replaced the spacers and top piece pictured. It's seems to be okay now.

I'll try and source a new inner case.