where is the voltage regulator...

That's what I thought Clive, I had to replace the module in my old 109 after a nasty hot electrical smell filled the cab one day and the charging light stayed on. I can't remember where I bought a replacement module from, it may have been Cradocks.

Pete so was that in the Gen Panel No.9 Mk 4? or did your 109 have the VD 14X? Not come across that on pre Defender Rovers before.

I bought several of these CAV modules quite cheaply for experimentation from http://bbengineeringsupplies.co.uk

The one I dissected had an unsoldered joint of a component lead into the PCB track. It was tinned but not soldered rather poor quality control!

Pete so was that in the Gen Panel No.9 Mk 4? or did your 109 have the VD 14X? Not come across that on pre Defender Rovers before.

I bought several of these CAV modules quite cheaply for experimentation from http://bbengineeringsupplies.co.uk

The one I dissected had an unsoldered joint of a component lead into the PCB track. It was tinned but not soldered rather poor quality control!

Ah now your asking Clive post war kit is not my strong point!,

it was a FFW late 24V 109 affectionately known as Mr Scabby as result of the 10 coats of flaking IR paint.

My wife used him as a general hack and to take the dogs out, when we moved to Wales he was SORN'd and we collected fire wood with him then he sat in the barn until someone offered me a a price. At this stage I can't remember if the alternator was 90 or 100 amp I have a feeling it was 90 amp ?.

Sorry Post War Chaps, shameful I know, :blush:....... I did have the occasional pang of guilt if it's any consolation.

Pete

Pete more likely it was the 90A with the external Generator Panel. This was not just for regulation but also served as a junction box, provision for battery change-over relay & some suppression.

I like scabby IRR paint. A lot of private owners go to great deal of trouble removing it all & present some nicely turned out vehicles. But in service this was not required to be done as the previous IRR layer contributed to the IRR behaviour under the new layer & even patch painting was encouraged. I admire owners who have to courage to take over-painted scabby paint jobs to show who may be sneered at because some think it should be all removed.:D