MoT for first time

Has any one come across ion where you have a vehicle direct from the MoD, to get it registered for the first time you need an MoT.

The test station has advised it will fail the MoT as it does not have a registration plate, therefore cant register it for a number plate.

They suggested using display plates but feel this could lead to problems at a latter date

I had a vehicle that was unregistered & it needed an MOT before it could be registered. I have the old certificate in front of me just with chassis number.

In fact there is a printed annotation "When no registration mark is exhibited on the vehicle the chassis or serial number should be shown."

But that was 1988 though.

As many will tell you, you do not need registration plates to get an MOT. You can insure usually temporarily on the chassis number and take it to the MOT station. They will issue a cert using the chassis/vin number so you can then register the vehicle. I've recently done that with a snatch Land Rover and a few other vehicles in the past. The test station need to check their facts, I am sure you can help them with that, or go somewhere else.

let us know how you get on.

cheers

Iain

ps, I wonder what they mean by Display Plates, they are usually not road legal for one reason or another and you cannot use the old MOD number, that would be an offence???.

Edited by Mk3iain
more bumf.

I had Katy on Jersey plates, and she required an MOT before the English registration was issued. No issues, though I did use an MOT station that had experience of weird vehicles. I'd ring around the local stations till you find someone who knows what their talking about.

As already stated your MOT station are wrong, it is perfectly acceptable (by the DVLA) to MOT a vehicle on a VIN. As long as the vehicle has a space ready for a UK number plate AND a number plate light at the rear you do not NEED a UK registration number or another countries reg number for that matter. I have MOT'd loads of vehicles on VIN alone. You actually use the VIN to insure it too, you can then drive to and from the testing station with no plates.

As many will tell you, you do not need registration plates to get an MOT. You can insure usually temporarily on the chassis number and take it to the MOT station. They will issue a cert using the chassis/vin number so you can then register the vehicle. I've recently done that with a snatch Land Rover and a few other vehicles in the past. The test station need to check their facts, I am sure you can help them with that, or go somewhere else.

let us know how you get on.

cheers

Iain

ps, I wonder what they mean by Display Plates, they are usually not road legal for one reason or another and you cannot use the old MOD number, that would be an offence???.

This was my understanding from the DVLA but was told after their offices shut so I couldn't check, well off again to try for the MoT

I had Katy on Jersey plates, and she required an MOT before the English registration was issued. No issues, though I did use an MOT station that had experience of weird vehicles. I'd ring around the local stations till you find someone who knows what their talking about.

Tony, my understanding is if it has a civie plate no matter what country there is no issue because it has been registered, the issue here is technically it is not registered with the DVLA as a civilian vehicle

Tony, my understanding is if it has a civie plate no matter what country there is no issue because it has been registered, the issue here is technically it is not registered with the DVLA as a civilian vehicle

Go to this government website for MoT testers, item 3 is what you are asking. The tester obviously does not know the procedure;

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/5-things-our-customers-ask-us-about-mot/

It took less than a minute to find it! Google is my friend

The key of course is either knowing or a lucky guess with the word(s) to put into the search.

In the early days of my current job a colleague and myself were trying to trace an obscure electrical connector.

Another engineer came along and simply put in Hexagonal Connector. Within the first page of results was the link to a well known suppliers US website and the part could be ordered through the UK website for a nominal charge.

The key of course is either knowing or a lucky guess with the word(s) to put into the search.

In the early days of my current job a colleague and myself were trying to trace an obscure electrical connector.

Another engineer came along and simply put in Hexagonal Connector. Within the first page of results was the link to a well known suppliers US website and the part could be ordered through the UK website for a nominal charge.

Just used the phrase 'MoT testing unregistered vehicle' and up it popped

They still wanted me to get display plates

Shocking !

Will they then drive it to/from the test station and take the points and fine for displaying false plates?

Good luck with the test and registration, it should be painless.

Cheers

Iain

The Land Rover is down for the MoT, it appears they didn't want to register it with out a number plate because its more difficult to get it registered with the DVLA.

Did you show them a copy of web page (link I sent you) ? That is a website for testers to ask questions, your question was there with an answer. They should do it, no question.

The Land Rover is down for the MoT, it appears they didn't want to register it with out a number plate because its more difficult to get it registered with the DVLA.

Isn't there another testing station that you could use, with a tester that knows the rules? I have to travel to Midsomer Norton to get my Leyland Daf tested, a round trip of 33 miles, as it is the only place that I can find locally that is big enough to take it.

As far as I am aware, as long as you have a booking for an MoT test and the vehicle is insured then you can drive a reasonable distance to the test centre. You do not have to use the one nearest to you.

I personally would steer clear of any 'chain' MoT centres e.g. tyre services or 'service centres' as I had a very bad experience at one of these years ago, they failed my XJ6 and quoted £1,000 for repairs to things that didn't need doing.

Did you show them a copy of web page (link I sent you) ? That is a website for testers to ask questions, your question was there with an answer. They should do it, no question.

Had the sheet printed off they still weren't happy

They are happy to test, however we have now come up with another issue where I need to contact Land Rover, date of going into service is on the sheet but there is no evidence of date of manufacture, contacted DVLA and DVSA but no luck

They are happy to test, however we have now come up with another issue where I need to contact Land Rover, date of going into service is on the sheet but there is no evidence of date of manufacture, contacted DVLA and DVSA but no luck

They are looking for issues!

The release docs should be enough, they are for DVLA. I would bin these guys and go somewhere else.

Every one, thanks for the help, I would also like to thank the lady at Land Rover who looked up the date when the vehicle departed from the factory, in this case it was the date of the manufacture.

The MoT passed second time as they were unfamiliar with the lighting system on an MoD land rover.

The documents are off to the DVLA for registration

I personally would steer clear of any 'chain' MoT centres e.g. tyre services or 'service centres' as I had a very bad experience at one of these years ago, they failed my XJ6 and quoted £1,000 for repairs to things that didn't need doing.

Yep been there back about 1990 - told I needed new brake pads, discs, drums, shoes & wheel cylinders when all that was actually needed was one cylinder.

A friend had a similar experience when they first moved to the area with a MOT failure every year. Once they switched to a local 3-man band garage that I also used on their recommendation after the 1-man band I used retired they never had another failure. I had just one failure known in advance of a split CV joint boot.