Daimler Dingo Mk11

Barrie

After much searching and deliberation I have just purchased a Daimler Dingo Mk11. It was delivered earlier today and must admit I'm like a dog with two tails !

P1040811.jpg

There's a few things to get sorted on the vehicle and then the DVLA registration process to get involved in......

The 'Nomenclature' plate from the side of the chassis is missing so I'm hoping that the forum members can help with any details that are known.

I believe that it was Chris Wilkinson's own vehicle and was rebuilt/restored some ten years or so ago, possibly by a professional vehicle restorer [?]

Looking at the Daimler Scout Car Register, Chris Wilkinson is down as owning [owned] a Dingo, F207077. Post War Registration '25ZS24'. Chassis Number S5246.

The only markings I can find are 'S&J 1943' on the escape hatch and the same on one of the side hatches and '25 24' on the top edge of the front armour, to the left of the Bren opening.

If anyone can help with any of the vehicles history, I would be most appreciative.

Looking at the Daimler Scout Car Register, Chris Wilkinson is down as owning [owned] a Dingo, F207077. Post War Registration '25ZS24'. Chassis Number S5246.

The only markings I can find are 'S&J 1943' on the escape hatch and the same on one of the side hatches and '25 24' on the top edge of the front armour, to the left of the Bren opening.

If anyone can help with any of the vehicles history, I would be most appreciative.

Hi Barrie,

The Makers number was not stamped in the chassis, only on your missing plate. However, the 25 24 on top edge of front armour is occasionally seen as it was when they went for base overhaul and hull was a way of identifying all the major items, so they did not get mixed with another (you might have realised that 25 24 refers to 25ZS24). If you contact the Tank Museum they may be able to copy the Key Card which has your vehicle on it and with this you could get it verified through MVT I would think.

regards, Richard

Richard, Adrian,

Thank-you for the replies.

Wasn't sure if Bovington still held the record cards, but will make them my next port of call together with Mr Ager.

Found loads more 'S&J 1943' stamps on the armoured body panels.

Richard, Adrian,

Thank-you for the replies.

Wasn't sure if Bovington still held the record cards, but will make them my next port of call together with Mr Ager.

Found loads more 'S&J 1943' stamps on the armoured body panels.

Barrie,

These are not record cards as in postwar vehicles, they are Key Cards and list about 20 vehicles on each and are conversions from Wartime census number to the postwar Army registration number, but they also list chassis numbers, contract number and date struck off and disposed of. Sometimes there is a snippet of info like the last unit. All of use to verify it though.

Richard

Sometimes you can see a number stamped on the lip on the top of the hull above the fuel tank/radio.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114802[/ATTACH]

David.

That would be the original makers number, starting with S. Most if not all Dingos found in the UK have gone through several base overhauls in their life and the hull number no longer matches the chassis plate. I worked on a Mk3 recently that was as it left the army in 1965, but had a Mk1B hull, which also had its F prefixed census number stamped in.

David,

Thanks for the information but no plate on the lip above the radio shelf !

Will keep looking.......

Have e-mailed Mr Ager at The Daimler Fighting Vehicle website.

Thanks again and all and any info gratefully rec'd

David,

Thanks for the information but no plate on the lip above the radio shelf !

Will keep looking.......

The hull number is on top rear edge of hull, not radio shelf. You have to remove the angle iron that secures the canvas roof

to view it, not the small brass plate riveted on, but to one side of it.

Richard

The hull number is on top rear edge of hull, not radio shelf. You have to remove the angle iron that secures the canvas roof

to view it, not the small brass plate riveted on, but to one side of it.

Richard

Richard,

Thank-you for that bit of info..........

Think the canvas will be removed tomorrow morn !

Morning,

Canvas roof and rear securing strip removed to reveal ........

C.jpg

Sorry photographs have uploaded out of order.

I think the first stamping is ....

S4065

The second one ...

B2841

The third ...

LT

And the brass plate ...

List No

So I'm assuming [dangerous] that the Chassis Number is 'S4065' [?]

Any further ideas please ?

A.jpg

B.jpg

Hi Barrie,

Your hull was originally fitted to vehicle with census number F205896 by my calculation.

regards, Richard

Richard,

Looking at known chassis numbers and census numbers, I made it the same.

But it does raise a question about the stamping on the edge of the front armour..... '25 24' ?

Have e-mailed Bovington library, will wait to see what comes back !

Thank-you,

Richard,

Looking at known chassis numbers and census numbers, I made it the same.

But it does raise a question about the stamping on the edge of the front armour..... '25 24' ?

Have e-mailed Bovington library, will wait to see what comes back !

Thank-you,

Barrie,

No question about 25 24, this was probably stamped in to the hull before dismantling on the last rebuild, they took more care then, I have seen evidence of other parts marked as so ( remember this is the digits from the postwar army reg number). Probably done at Chilwell workshops around 1958 to 1959 when a lot were rebuilt. In their lifespan they could have gone through 3 or 4 rebuilds.

Hull mismatch could have happened many years previous. I have worked on a good many Dingos over the years and always check to see what the number is, never had one match up hull to chassis number.

• 5 months later...