10cwt mortar trailer.

I have been looking for a mortar trailer for a year or so now and have just bort this.

IMG_20160427_191625.jpg

The drawbar has been replaced and the hitch is wrong but it has the correct hand brake. The 2 Jack's / legs and clamps are missing. There is a tail gate on the back which has not done to much damage and the original tailgate is still on the front. The metal work is generally good and solid.

I would like to rebuild it with the full mortar storage if I can find parts to buy or copy or a set of drawings.

IMG_20160402_172715.jpg

Peter.

IMG_20160427_095749.jpg

IMG_20160427_191435.jpg

IMG_20160402_172807.jpg

I have been looking for a mortar trailer for a year or so now and have just bort this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114662[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]114661[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]114663[/ATTACH]

The drawbar has been replaced and the hitch is wrong but it has the correct hand brake. The 2 Jack's / legs and clamps are missing. There is a tail gate on the back which has not done to much damage and the original tailgate is still on the front. The metal work is generally good and solid.

I would like to rebuild it with the full mortar storage if I can find parts to buy or copy or a set of drawings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]114673[/ATTACH]

Peter.

Hi Peter I have a hitch & corner leg clamps for sale, may also have other parts.

I think your find the rear tail gate was a post war army mod as mine & every one I seen had a rear tail gate, but I'm intending to convert mine back to original spec.

012.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

The draw bar looks original but has been re-inforced where it joins the main chassis. It appears to have the same early post war Bradley hitch (see the earlier 10cwt mortar trailer thread) as my trailer but should have had the late war hitch with the integral grab handles (as in the book illustrations). You will have to get new cleats - an expensive job as they are not made now as well as new ash wood planks.

A worthwhile project but make sure you check the earlier thread as you will pick up loads of info- good luck.

Hi Peter I have a hitch & corner leg clamps for sale, may also have other parts.

I think your find the rear tail gate was a post war army mod as mine & every one I seen had a rear tail gate, but I'm intending to convert mine back to original spec.

Hi Ian.

I would be interested in the in any parts you have that I need. I will P, M, you.

I would also be interested in looking at your trailer as the sides look original and mine have been changed.

Peter.

The draw bar looks original but has been re-inforced where it joins the main chassis. It appears to have the same early post war Bradley hitch (see the earlier 10cwt mortar trailer thread) as my trailer but should have had the late war hitch with the integral grab handles (as in the book illustrations). You will have to get new cleats - an expensive job as they are not made now as well as new ash wood planks.

A worthwhile project but make sure you check the earlier thread as you will pick up loads of info- good luck.

Hi Tony.

The drawbar has been replaced with rectangular box section from the front of the Body, but it has been done very well and took me a few minutes to figure out.

I have had some 10cwt trailers in the past so I know the basics but will need help with the details when I start rebuilding the trailer.

I have had parts cast before so can get the cleats done at a price.

I have bort the ash wood for the OY cab so have an idea of the price.

For a little trailer they can cost a fortune to rebuild.

Peter.

That great Pete.

Soon to change your user name to "Mr4.2InchMortar". I can't wait to see that trailer fully stowed with all the clamps etc, I'd presume it will be the only one in existence...which is always nice.

That great Pete.

Soon to change your user name to "Mr4.2InchMortar". I can't wait to see that trailer fully stowed with all the clamps etc, I'd presume it will be the only one in existence...which is always nice.

Hi Alastair,

The 4.2" mortar seems to be thin on the ground in the UK.

So far I only know of 3 for shore, 2 mobile and 1 infantry and rumors of 2 others.

I have collected a few bits up but this will be a long term project and if I do get it done I will need a Loyd to pull it.

Peter.

Hi Alastair,

The 4.2" mortar seems to be thin on the ground in the UK.

So far I only know of 3 for shore, 2 mobile and 1 infantry and rumors of 2 others.

I have collected a few bits up but this will be a long term project and if I do get it done I will need a Loyd to pull it.

Peter.

This one was the third mortar trailer I've had Peter and it was nice it had the front tailgate, a friend has another in bits. I know of about 10 in total. The GS is also a nice trailer and very thin on the ground.

Good luck with the restoration a very worthwhile project that will look great behind a carrier.

This one was the third mortar trailer I've had Peter and it was nice it had the front tailgate, a friend has another in bits. I know of about 10 in total. The GS is also a nice trailer and very thin on the ground.

Good luck with the restoration a very worthwhile project that will look great behind a carrier.

I am very happy with the trailer it is a good solid starting point for restoration.

At the moment I will be collecting parts for the trailer and mortar.

I will start a new thread when I start rebuilding the trailer.

Peter.

• 1 year later...

I have what looks like a 10 cwt mortar trailer which I have had a few years.

Afirst I thought it was old Sankey trailer that I was going to convert into a camping/expedition trailer but gave up on this idea because of its 6 stud wheels that confused me as I thought being a sankey trailer would just have standard Land Rover 5 stud wheels.

Its had a replacement hitch sadly and the tailgate is at the back . It's brakes are not connected , a wheel nut is missing the tyres perished and the boards have been replaced with what looks like scaffolding board.

Now I've got the dilemma of what to do with it, either restore it myself or sell it. Oh hum decisions, decisions.

:undecided:

attachment.php?attachmentid=129037&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=129036&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=129035&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=129034&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=129033&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=129032&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=129031&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=129030&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=129029&stc=1

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

If you look at Tony Lawrence's thread on here relating to the restoration of his mortar trailer, that type of hitch seems to be a common post war alteration and has been seen on a number of these 10cwt trailers.I have begun to wonder if "mortar trailers" with a tailgate at the back are actually Mk II GS trailers, as opposed to the Mk I trailers which have curved mudguards and different woodwork including a shorter body to allow the fitment of a toolbox

I'm guessing that there are not many of these around, looks like I will have to make a bit of room in the shed to stop it from further deterioration.

The price of replacement tyres seems expensive , but then again they are quite large.

:red:

I use to think it was just a trailer however it seems these vital bits of equipment have there own story to tell.

Looking at a few other threads on the forum I think my trailer use to have the hitch similar to the mortar trailer in the photos from "10 Cwt British Trailer gathering - Saturday 6th July thread" by cordenj

Although on mine the manual arms that were welded on the end of the drawbar either side have been cut off.

And for some reason the original hitch had been reincorperated into the drawbar rather than on top then cut off and replaced by a more modern hitch.

I could see some reminants of it actually inside the end of the drawbar.:laugh:

Edited by WONKEY DONKEY

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just got a GS to go with the mortar.

Looks very original with just the eye cut. Bit of rot but still traces of the div signs.

Chassis N,o,A3253/879

WD N,o,X5439529

Cont N,o,23/2487

Any one got any info on these numbers?

Peter.

IMG_20180715_143412.jpg

IMG_20180715_143423.jpg

IMG_20180715_143431.jpg